Elberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1763
Elberton is a township, parish and village, 8 miles north-west from Yate station, 10 north-west from Chipping Sodbury, 9 ½ north from Bristol, and 120 from London, in Lower Langley and Swineshead Hundred, Thornbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the road from Sodbury to Aust passage. The church of St. John, a stone building, in the early English style, was thoroughly restored in 1854; it has a nave, aisles, porch, chancel, tower and spire, and 1 bell. The living is a vicarage, worth £280 yearly, with residence and 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese; the Rev. J. K. Charleton is the incumbent. There is a mixed National school at Olveston, belonging to this parish. Here are the remains of a Roman camp. The population, in 1851, was 204; and the acreage is 1,490. The soil is clay, marl and lime. R. C. Lippincott, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £6 yearly value.
Alpas John, farmer
Goslin William, farm bailiff
Grosvenor Wm. carpntr. & wheelwright
Keen Samuel, farmer
Osbourn George, farmer
Sperrin Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer
Sperrin Jane (Mrs.), farmer
Stafford Jeremiah, farm bailiff
York Thomas, farmer
Letters through Almondsbury. The nearest money order office is at Thornbury.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.