Edgeworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1554
Edgeworth, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 3 ½ miles NE of Brimscombe r. station, and 5 ½ NW of Cirencester. Post-town, Bisley, under Stroud. Acres, 1,566. Real property, £1,734. Pop., 139. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £321. Patron, C. Greville, Esq. The church has Norman traces, and is good. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Thomas Arndell & Hester Haiward, 31 Oct. 1754
Thomas Arndell & Rachel Green, 11 Aug. 1760
Stephen Fords & Mary Parsons, 23 Sept. 1760
Thomas Randell & Jane Hayward, 4 Oct. 1761
Tobias Green, w., p. Rodmarton, & Betty Mansell, w., lic., 13 Sept. 1762
Stephen Arnold & Jane Dadge, lic., 11 Oct. 1762
Giles Nicolas & Elenor Parsons, lic., 9 July 1765
John Pinfold, p. of Rodborough, & Mary Randal, lic., 28 July 1768
John Shermore & Ann Workman, p. Bisley, 16 Nov. 1768
William Price & Sarah Cole, 19 Feb. 1769
James Dadge, w., & Ann Yeates, lic., 14 Sept. 1769
Samuel Tiler & Mary Larner, both of Bisley, 11 Oct. 1769
William Poulson, p. Cheltenham, & Ann Gardner, p. of Painswick, 17 Sept. 1770
John Smith & Hannah Smider, 27 Sept. 1770
George Blackwell & Mary Evans, 11 Feb. 1771
John Godwin & Hannah Witts, lic., 3 Aug. 1773
William Smith & Ann Hughes, 12 Oct. 1773
William Godwin, p. Lineham, Wilts, & Betty Witts, lic., 26 July 1774
William Bowley & Mary Hillman, 29 Sept. 1774
John Hill, p. Miserdine, & Ann Legg, lic., 16 Feb. 1775
James Cooke & Mary Mansell, 11 Mar. 1777
Richard Fawkes & Mary Cawson, 17 Apr. 1777
Farrington Workman, p. Bisley, & Mary Price, 22 Sept. 1777
William Sollars, p. Stroud, & Eleanor Etheridge, lic., 28 Oct. 1777
John Hunt, p. Bisley, & Ann Arndell, 11 Nov. 1777
William Cooke & Mary Portlocke, 24 July 1780
James Goeby & Deidamia Arndell, 10 June 1784
Thomas Rodway & Phoebe Arndell, 14 June 1784
Harry Bowley & Nancy Hawker, 14 June 1784
William King, p. Sapperton, & Elizabeth Blackwell, 12 Oct. 1785
John Arkell & Mary Walling, 12 Dec. 1786
[A note here to say the m. of Daniel White Bartlett, of Dursley, and Sarah Price Herbert, w., contracted with a licence, on the 5 February 1787, was found to the null and void as the man has a previous wife living.]
John Portlocke & Hannah Cawson, 3 July 1790
Edward Griffin, p. Miserdine, & Betty Smith, 1 Oct. 1793
William Price, p. Bisley, & Mary Price Herbert, lic., 8 Mar. 1796
Daniel Hall, p. Cherington, & Ann Hicks, 5 Oct. 1801
John Martin, p. Cirencester, & Sarah Greenaway, lic., 9 Oct. 1802
Charles Smith & Ann Steager, 4 Dec. 1803
Thomas Weaver, p. Minety, & Elizabeth Wall, 2 Feb. 1807
Thomas Parker & Sarah Townsend, both p. of Saperton, 19 Apr. 1807
Joseph Moss & Ann Arndell, 20 July 1807
William Hicks & Jane Arndell, 9 Nov. 1808
Thomas Young, p. Malmsbury Charlton, Wilts, & Elizabeth Price, 25 Nov. 1811
[No Marriage for 1812]
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.
Edgeworth is a township and parish in Bisley Hundred, East Gloucestershire, and Cirencester Union, 5 miles north-west of Cirencester station, and 6 from Stroud. It is in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The living is a rectory, the tithes of which are commuted for £265 yearly, in the gift of Charles Grevill, Esq., with residence and 42 acres of glebe land; the Rev. Henry Prowse Jones, M.A., is the incumbent. The church, a stone building, of the early perpendicular style, has a tower with 5 bells. The population, in 1851, was 148, and the acreage, 1,566. The soil is a stone-brash (oolite) and light clay. Edmund Hopkinson, Esq., is lord of the manor, and, with Earl Bathurst and Sir William Russell, is the chief landowner. There are charities of a few pounds’ yearly value.
Hopkinson Edmund, esq.
Jones Rev. Henry P., M.A. (Rector)
Blackwell William, stonemason
Gardner Nathaniel, farmer
Hatton Lewis, gardener to E. Hopkinson, esq.
James – , miller & farmer
Petworth William, shopkeeper
Wood Robert, farmer
Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Insurance Agent, N. Gardner
Parish School, Mrs. Smith, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.