Eastleach Turville is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1654
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
East-Leach-Turville, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Leach and on Icknield-street, 4 miles N of Lechlade, and 11½ WSW of Witney r. station. It has a post-office under Swindon. Acres, 2,670. Real property, £3,187. Pop., 506. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £66. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was reported in 1859 as not good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Eastleach Turville is a township, parish and village, 4 miles north from Lechlade, in the Hundred of Brightwells Barrow, Northleach Union, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester; income, £65. The Rev. Rowland H. Cooper, M.A., is the incumbent. The church of St. Andrew consists of a tower, nave, and chancel; the population, 446; acreage, 2,670. The ancient Roman Ikenield road intersects the parish. Here is a National school and a Primitive Methodist chapel. Lord De Mauley is the principal landed proprietor.
Fowler John, esq.
Baxter George, farmer & grocer
Edmonds Giles, farmer
Embury Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Fowler John, solicitor & clerk to the magistrates
Gardner Fredk. Stevens, law & genl. wrtr
Giddings John, farmer
Herbert Thomas, farmer
Lifley Richard, jun. baker
Lifley Richard, sen. farmer
Longford George, boot & shoe maker
Major Henry, boot & shoe maker
Major James, farmer
Miles Charles, carpenter & wheelwright
Penson Thomas, farmer
Shellam Robert, ‘Victoria,’ & butcher
Spackman William, shopkeeper
Wakefield Charles, farmer
Wheeler Thomas, blacksmith
Post Office. – Charles Miles, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at ½ past 10 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Lechlade.
Clerk to the Commissioners of Land & Assessed Taxes for the District of Bibury, John Fowler, esq.
Royal Farmers’ Fire, Life & Hail Insurance Office, John Fowler, esq.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.