Eastington (near Stroud), Gloucestershire

Eastington (near Stroud) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Alkerton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: Eastington: 1558; Alkerton: 1558

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Eastington

  • Leonard Stanley
  • Whitminster
  • Stonehouse
  • Moreton Valence
  • Frampton on Severn
  • Coaley
  • Frocester

Historical Descriptions


Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Eastington, a tything and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The tything lies on the Stroudwater canal, near the Bristol and Gloucester and the Gloucester and Hereford Junction railways, 2½ miles W of Stonehouse r. station, and 4½ W of Sroud; has a post-office under Stonehouse; and contains the workhouse of Wheatenhurst. Pop., 712. Houses, 137. The parish includes also the tything of Alkerton. Acres, 2,042. Real property, £6,852. Pop., 1,717. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. Eastington House is a principal residence. A considerable woollen manufacture has been carried on, but has recently declined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £551. Patron, the Rev. T. Peters. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and has a brass of 1518, and a Norman font. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £19 from endowment; and other charities has £11.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].


Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alkerton, in Eastington par. P. 1210.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Alkerton, a tything, in the parish of Eastington, union of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of Whitstone, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (W.) from Stroud; containing 1108 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Alkerton, a tything in the parish of Eastington, Gloucestershire; 3 miles west from Stroud. Pop., in 1821, 963; in 1831, 1,055. Houses 218. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel and school; also a Baptist chapel and school.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.



Eastington Marriages 1809 to 1812
Eastington Marriages 1805 to 1808
Eastington Marriages 1800 to 1804


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
  • Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury