Dyrham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Dirham and Hinton
Parish registers begin: 1568
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Dirham and Hinton, a parish in the hund. of Grumbald’s-ash, union of Chipping-Sodbury, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles south by east of Chipping-Sodbury, near the post-road from Bath to Farringdon. Acres 3,290. Houses 91. A. P. £4,994. Pop., in 1801, 437; in 1831, 516. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £14 12s. 6½d.; gross income £520. Patron, in 1835, W. Blathwayte, Esq. This parish possesses 2 Sunday and daily National, and 2 daily, schools; one is endowed with £17 12s., and another with £37, per annum. The sum of £64 is here annually divided among poor clergymen, or widows of clergymen. Poor rates, in 1837, £220. In the vicinity are some traces of what has been supposed to have been a Saxon camp; but a writer in the 39th volume of the Monthly Magazine, struck with the resemblance of the spot to a Grecian stadium, considers it to have been a cursus annexed in Roman times to the city of Bath. It is a flat artificially levelled valley, skirted by hills, the sides of which next the valley only are cut into steps or terraces. On the tops of the hills are no earthworks or banks, so that this writer conceives fortifications to have been out of the question.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851