Driffield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1561
Driffield, 2 miles S.E. Cirencester. P. 148
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Driffield is a small parish in Cirencester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 132, and in 1871, 121 inhabitants, and 1237 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, East Gloucestershire; 4 miles north-east from Cirencester, and 5 south-west from Cricklade. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Maurice, M.A., is valued at £270 per annum, arising from 186 acres of glebe land, with residence, and is in the patronage of George Bengough, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, has been restored, the body at the sole expense of Henry Howell, Esq., and the chancel by the Rev. Thomas Maurice, M.A., the vicar. There is a school for children of both sexes, partly endowed, and the remainder provided by subscription. Edwin Gyde [sic], Esq., is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The rateable value of this parish is £1473.
Little Lewis Davis, Esq., Manor house
Blackwood John, shopkeeper
Bryant Samuel, farm bailiff to Edwin Glyde [sic], Esq., Foss farm
Hawkins Miss Elizabeth, mistress of Free School
Johnson Mrs. Sarah, shopkeeper
Kelby Joseph, parish clerk
Long William, farm bailiff to Rev. Thomas Maurice
Wakefield William, farm bailiff to Lewis Davis Little, Esq.
Letters from Cirencester arrive at 8 a.m. Wall letterbox cleared at 5. 30 p.m.
Free School – Miss Elizabeth Hawkins, mistress
Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.