Down Ampney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1603
Amphney-Down [sic], 6 miles E. Cirencester. P. 425.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
AMPNEY-DOWN, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne and Minety, union of Cirencester, Gloucestershire; 5 miles south-east from Cirencester; a little to the north of the Thames and Severn canal. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester, now in that of Bristol, and in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 5s. 8d., in the parliamentary returns at £120; gross income £118. Patrons, in 1835, the dean and chapter of Christ-church, Oxford. The church is an ancient building. There is an infant school in this parish, also a small day school. An ancient mansion-house, built by Sir Anthony Hungerford, in the reign of Henry VIII., still exists, though much altered by modern additions Pop., in 1801, 279; in 1831, 463. Houses 79. Acres 2,470. A. P., including that of Ampney-Crucis, £3,610. Poor rates, in 1837, £187.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Ampney Down, co. Gloucester.
P T. Cirencester (89) 5 m. S. Pop. 365.
A parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; val. in K. B. 10l. 5s. 8d.; in P. R. 120l.; church ded. to All Saints; patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. An ancient mansion-house, built by the family of Hungerford, in the reign of Henry VIII., still exists, although much modernised in its exterior.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
DOWN AMPNEY, or Amney, is a township and parish, in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, Fairford rural deanery, Bristol archdeaconry, Cirencester union and county court district, 2½ miles from Cricklade, 4 south-west from Fairford, and 6 from Cirencester station. The church of All Saints is an old and very interesting building, now under repair, with a massive tower and spire, and 5 bells; the north transept was rebuilt by the munificence of the present Earl St. Germans, who has also been the chief contributor to the restoration of the rest of the fabric; in the south transept is the representation of Sir Nicholas de Villiers, arrayed in armour. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford; the tithes are commuted at £300; the Rev. Greville Phillimore, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the vicar. Here is an ancient gateway, built by the Hungerford family in the reign of Henry VII.; it is a fine specimen of the architecture of the period. A school has recently been built for the instruction of the children of the inhabitants. The population in 1861 was 429; the area is 2,451a. 1r. 3p. Earl St. Germans is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Castle Hill is now a farm.
Parish Clerk, John Page.
Butler Paul, esq. Down Ampney house
Phillimore Rev. Greville, M.A. [vicar]
Bryan Jsph. farmer, Down Ampney farm
Cowley Robert, shopkeeper
Habgood Thomas, farmer
Halloway — , farmer
Messenger Joseph, blacksmith
Pinniger John, farmer
Rex James, Eliot Arms
Ricketts Stephen, carpenter & wheelwrght
Ruck Edmund, farmer, Castle Hill farm
Post Office. — Mrs. Elizabeth Dean, sub-postmistress, nearest money order office is at Cricklade.
Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. The School, James Sparkes, master.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.