Deerhurst, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, at the boundary with Worcester, 2 miles SW of Tewkesbury town and r. station; was formerly called Deorhurst and Deortyrst; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Coventry. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deerhurst-Walton and Apperley-with-Whitefield; and. Its post-town is Tewkesbury. Acres, 2,930. Real property, £7,781. Pop., 930. Houses, 207. The property is divided among a few. A priory was founded here, in 715, by Duke Dodo; rebuilt, in 980 after being destroyed by the Danes; was given in 1056 to St. Denis abbey, and afterwards to Tewkesbury abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Throckmortons. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Apperley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £102. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1490; has Norman traces; comprises a nave and aisles, with a square tower; was renovated in 1862, at a cost of about £2,500; and contains 2 brasses, one of them a fine canopied brass of Chief-Baron Cassey. There is a Wesleyan chapel. – The sub-district is in Tewkesbury district; and contains nine parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 18,152. Pop., 4,229. Houses, 948. – The hundred consists of detached pieces; contains nine parishes and parts of three others; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 11,909 and 7,970. Pop. of the whole 4,994. Houses, 1,092.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Deerhurst (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst, and partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Westminster, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (S. W.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the hamlets of Apperley and Whitfield, 937 inhabitants, of whom 257 are in the hamlet of Deerhurst-Walton. It is bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patron, Bisop of Gloucester and Bristol; impropriator, W. Barnard, Esq. the church, which exhibits portions in the Norman, early English, and decorated styles, formerly belonged to a priory, established about 715, by the Mercian duke, Doddo, one of the founders of Tewkesbury Abbey. This priory, having been destroyed by the Danes, was refounded in 980, and given by Edward the Confessor to the Benedictine abbey of St. Denis, in France, to which it became a cell; upon the seizure of alien priories it was granted to Eton College, but Edward IV., revoking that grant, made it a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury, and so it remained till the Dissolution. The remains of the structure, which have been converted into a farm-house, are in the later English style, much enriched with decorated tracery. Deerhurst gives the title of Viscount to the noble family of Coventry.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Deerhurst is a township, village and parish, 4 miles south-west (by road) from Tewkesbury (the post town and railway station), 7 north-west from Cheltenham, and 10 north-north-east from Gloucester, partly in the lower division of the above Hundred, and partly in the lower division of Westminster Hundred, Union of Tewkesbury, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the eastern bank of the navigable river Severn. The church, an old stone building in the Saxon style of architecture, is one of the finest specimens of that period in this part of the kingdom; it has a nave with two aisles, and a square tower containing 6 bells; and, in 1854, was repaired. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £102 yearly, with a handsome residence, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence south of the village, and is in the gift of the Bishop of the diocese. The Rev. William George Sinclair Addison, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. The population, in 1851, was 892, and the acreage is 2,874. The soil is stiff clay. H. E. Strickland, Esq., and Joseph Barnard, Esq., are chief landowners.
Deerhurst hamlet contains a population of 103. Deerhurst contains the two hamlets of Apperley, with Whitefield and Walton, both distant about 1 ½ miles from the parish church, which is in the hamlet of Deerhurst proper.
Apperley-with-Whitfield contains 548 people, and Deerhurst Walton, 143.
Addison Rev. Wm. George Sinclair, M.A.
Cox William, parish clerk
Crump Thomas, farmer
Dunn Edward, beer retailer
Margrett Hy. beer retailer & basket mkr
Margrett William, basket maker
Phillips John, farmer
Whithorn William, farmer
Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is also the nearest money order office
Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Joseph Hoare Apperley
Parish Clerk, William Cox.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.