Dean Forest St Paul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1822 from part of Forest of Dean extra-parochial.
Other places in the parish include: Clearwell, Denbigh Walk, Denby Walk, York Walk, Parkend Walk, West Dean, and Park End Walk.
Parish church: St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1822; Separate registers exist for Clearwell which begin: 1830
Denby-Walk, a tract in East Dean and West Dean township, Gloucester; in Dean forest, 4 miles W of Newnham. Pop., 1,307.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Park End is a hamlet in the district of St. Paul and township of West Dean, 7 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales line of railway, 4 from Coleford, 14 from Ross, and 16 from Chepstow, in the Hundred of St. Briavells, and diocese of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and archdeaconry of Gloucester. The district church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a handsome octagonal building of stone, having a tower, organ, gallery, and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £150 per year; the Rev. Henry Poole is the present incumbent. Here are extensive iron, tin, and coal works. The population is about 200.
Campbell Sir James, bart., Whitemead park (deputy surveyor of Dean forest)
Poole Rev. Henry, B.A. (incumbent of St. Paul’s)
Courteen Henry, ‘British Queen’
Forest of Dean Iron Co. James & Greenham
Forest Tin Plate Co. Messrs. Allaways
Harper & Moore, brickmakers & coal masters, Whitecroft
Inman James, ‘Fountain’
Jones Philip, shopkeeper
Morgan & Morse, coal masters, Moseley green
Morse George Morris, coal master, Moseley green
Park End Coal Co. Nicholson, Trotter & Co.
Phipps & Child, coal master, Moseley green
Protheroe & Phillips, coal masters, Great Western colliery
Letters are received through Lydney & Coleford. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.