Daglingworth, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ermine-street, 3 miles NW of Cirencester town and r. station. It has a post-office under Cirencester. Acres, 1,884. Real property, £3,270. Pop., 355. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Godstow nunnery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £266. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, in excellent condition, with a square tower; and has an old stone crucifix over the chancel window. A weather-worn ancient cross is in the church-yard. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Daglingworth, Gloucester, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne and Minety, union of Cirencester: 98 miles from London (coach road 92), 3 from Cirencester, 9 from Stroud. Gt. West. Rail, through Swindon to Cirencester, thence 3 miles: from Derby, through Birmingham and Stonehouse to Cirencester, &c, 122 miles. Money orders issued at Cirencester: London letters delivd. 8 a.m. : post closes 9 p.m. The charities amount to about £6. 17s. per annum. The living (Holy Rood), a rectory, formerly in the archdy and diocese of Gloucester, now in the archdy of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, is valued at £8. 6s. 3d. : pres. net income, £266 : patron, Lord Chancellor : pres. incumbent, H. C. R. Barker, 1841 : contains 1,700 acres: 55 houses: pop. in 1841, 302: probable pop. in 1849, 347: assd. propy. £1,312: poor rates in 1838, £103.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
Daglinworth, 3 m. N.W. Cirencester. P. 302
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Daglingworth (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. W.) from Cirencester; containing 302 inhabitants. This place was not a distinct parish at the time of the Conquest, but a waste in the manor of Stratton: the earliest mention of its present name occurs in a record of the thirteenth century. It comprises by computation 1811 acres, of which about 1157 acres are arable, 310 meadow land, and 342 wood; the soil is in general light, and there are quarries of stone for building. The living is a rectory, valued in thebking’s books at £8. 6. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £261, and the glebe comprises 64½ acres, to which there is a glebe-house. The church was built at the expense of the abbess and nuns of Godstow, in the county of Oxford, to whom the place was given in 1499. A school is supported by an annuity of £4. 10., arising from bequests of £100 by Jeremiah Hancock, in 1730, and £35 by Wm. Belitha, Esq. The Roman Ermin-street passes through the parish, and a tessellated pavement has been discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Daglingworth is a township, parish and village, in the Hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester Union, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Bristol, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated 3 miles north by west from Cirencester, and near to the old road between that town and Gloucester. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, value £250 per annum, with residence, and 60 acres of glebe land. The incumbent is the Rev. H. C. Raymond Barker, M.A. The church is a stone building in the Norman style, with square tower and 4 bells; it is supposed by some to have been dedicated to the Holy Rood, from the existence of a very ancient stone crucifix above the east window in the chancel. There is also an ancient stone cross standing in the churchyard. The extent of the parish is 1,880 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 320. The soil is a stone brash (oolite), and the subsoil, limestone rock. The principal landowners are Lord Bathurst (who is lord of the manor), Edward Haines, Esq., and William Hinton, Esq. There is a charity of £4 10s. annual value, for the education of children of the parish.
Barker Rev. Henry Chas. Raymond, M.A.
Hinton Mrs. Elizabeth
Bryan George, shoemaker
Curtis John, shopkeeper & baker
Edwards Richard, farmer
Hayward George, stonemason
Mace Daniel, blacksmith
Millington William, wheelwright
Moss John, butcher
Parsloe Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, beer retailer & baker
Parsloe William, butcher
Richardson James, baker & beer retailer
Wilton Thomas, shoemaker
Post Office. – Mrs. Eliza Mellington, receiver. Letters are received from Cirencester 8 a.m. & dispatched 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.
Parish school, Mrs. Sarah Taylor, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.