Coleford

Coleford, Gloucestershire Family History

Coleford is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1782 from chapelry in Newland Ancient Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1768

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Coleford

  • Dean Forest Christ Church
  • Ruardean
  • English Bicknor

Historical Descriptions

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Coleford, 8 m. S.W. Mitchel-Dean, and 21 miles W. Gloucester. Mrkt. Fri. P. 2208

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Coleford Universal British Directory 1791

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Monmouth
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Monmouth
  • Hundred: St Briavels
  • Province: Canterbury