Coberley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Cubberley
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Cubberly, or Coberley, a parish in the hund. of Rapsgate, union of Cheltenham, county ot Gloucester; 4½ miles south-south-east of Cheltenham. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10; gross income £326. Patron, in 1835, H. Elwes, Esq. There is a Baptist church here, formed in 1827. Acres 3,800. Houses 34. A.P. £3,536. Pop., in 1801, 161; in 1831, 181. Poor rates, in 1838. £124
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Cubberley, 8m. N.E. Stroud. P. 231
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Cubberley, or Coberley, is a parish and village partly in Bradley Hundred and partly in that of Rapsgate, and Cheltenham Union, 4 ½ miles south-by-east from Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £450 yearly, with residence and 17 acres of glebe land; patron John Henry Elwes, Esq. The population in 1851, was 220; and acreage 3,421. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient stone building, containing some interesting monuments of Crusaders, and mural tablets. The Rev. Wm. Hicks, M.A., is the incumbent, who resides at the Rectory; his curate, the Rev. John Rudge Relton, M.A. There is a day and Sunday school, chiefly supported by the rector. In this parish is a place called the Seven Springs, being the principal source of the river Thames. Cubberley Court is a farm. The soil is loamy, subsoil stony. The Baptists have a chapel here.
Hicks Rev. William, M.A. Rectory
Relton Rev. John Rudge, M.A. (Curate)
Attwater John Gay, farmer
Brooks John, farmer, Upper Cubberley
Finch George, farmer, Cubberley court
Harman Samuel, farmer
Peachy John, farmer, Upper Cubberley
Shearman James, grocer
Smith Richd. carpenter & parish clerk
Williams Edward, miller
Letters are delivered at ½ past 8 a.m. by foot messenger from Cheltenham, who calls at the parish clerk’s at 5 p.m. on his return to Cheltenham, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.