Clearwell in the county of Gloucestershire was formed as a separate Ecclesiastical parish from Newland in 1856.
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin: 1830
CLEARWELL, a tything in Newland parish, and a chapelry in Newland and West Dean parishes, Gloucester. The tything lies in Dean forest, near the river Wye, 5½ miles SSE of Monmouth, and 6 NW of Lydney r. station; and has a post office under Coleford. Real property, £3,675; of which £260 are in quarries, and £50 in mines. Pop., 816. Houses, 156. The property is not much divided. Clearwell Park is the seat of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. A great heap of Roman money, comprising about 3,000 copper coins, was found here in 1847. The chapelry was constituted in 1856. Pop., 1,244. Houses, 245. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Cloucester and Bristol. Value, £200.* Patron, the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. The church was rebuilt in 1866. There are handsome schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Clearwell, 1½ mile S.E. Newland. P. 674
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Clearwell, a chapelry, in the parish of Newland, union of Monmouth, hundred of St. Briavell’s, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 7 miles (W. by N.) from Blakeney; containing 674 inhabitants. A considerable number of persons belonging to Clearwell are employed in the coal and iron-mines in the parish, and in the adjacent forest of Dean. A church has been built and endowed, containing 460 sittings, 380 of which are free, the Incorporated Society having, in 1829, granted £400 towards defraying the expense. There is a curious stone cross.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Clearwell is a village and tithing in the parish of Newland, 2 ½ miles from Coleford, 6 from Lydney station, on the South Wales line of railway, 13 from Ross, and 6 from Monmouth, in the hundred of St. Briavells, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church (or chapel of ease) is a brick building, having one aisle, chancel, and 1 bell. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Newland; the Rev. Charles Maitland is the officiating minister. Clearwell Court is the residence of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. The population is returned with Newland.
Ambrey Henry, esq. Stow hall
Dunraven Dowager Countess of, Clearwell court
Pearson Justly, esq
Ambrey James, farmer, Stow
Beach William, carpenter
Constant Thomas, farmer, Noxon farm
Constant William Worgan, ‘Butchers’ Arms’, & farmer
Davis Richard, cooper
Good Richard, nail maker
Harper Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Scatterford farm
Holder Thomas, farmer, Platwell
Hughes Thomas, farmer, Longney farm
James Thomas, stonemason
Jenkins Mrs., nail maker & shopkeeper
Jones Samuel, farmer, Platwell
Jones William, nail maker & beer retlr.
Miles James, farmer, Platwell
Miles Thomas, farmer, Platwell
Miles William, farmer
Morgan - , farmer, Clay’s farm
Morgan John, ‘Wyndham Arms’
Mudway Thomas, farmer, Stow green
Nash John, farmer, Pingrey farm
Packer Thomas & Son, painters & glazrs.
Prichard George, beer retailer & farmer, Ore pool
Riddiford Thomas, grocer
Roberts Mary (Miss), mistress of Infant school
Sims John, farmer
Smith William, beer retailer
Stephens Josiah & Benjamin, tanners & leather curriers
Taylor Thomas, saddler & harness mkr
Teague George, farmer, Trowgreen farm
Tooze Henry, stonemason
Townsend Richard, stone merchant & farmer
Wherret Danl., farmer, Lamb’s quay frm.
Williams Thomas, stone merchant
Yarworth Thomas, stone merchant & farmer, Dean pool
York Sarah (Mrs.), blacksmith
Pots Office – Mrs. Esther Williams, receiver. Letters are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Infant School, Miss Mary Roberts, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.