Clapton is a chapelry of Bourton on the Water Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: For records see Bourton on the Water
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Clapton, 3m. N.E. Northleach. P. 117
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Clapton is a parish and village in Stow-on-the-Wold union, containing, by the census of 1861, 123, and in 1871, 138 inhabitants, and 783 acres; in the deanery of Stow, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Lower Slaughter, East Gloucestershire; 5 miles north-east from Northleach, 2 south from Bourton-on-the-Water, and 6 north-west from Burford. The living is a perpetual curacy, which, with Lower Slaughter, is annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Joseph Hume, M.A., and the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford; joint annual value, £500. The church is a small ancient edifice, consisting of nave and chancel with one bell. The rateable value of this parish is £1071. Hora Townsend, Esq., and Miss Walmsley, are the principal landowners, the former being lord of the manor.
Gardner James, farmer
Goodway Edward Stait, farmer
Hall Josiah, carpenter
Hambridge Mrs. Susannah, farmer, Manor farm
Reynolds Richard, farmer
West John, farmer
Letters through Stow via Bourton-on-the-Water, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Clapton is a township and parish, distant 2 miles south-east from Bourton-on-the-Water, 6 south from Stow, 4 north from Northleach, and 6 west-north-west from Buford, in Lower Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, East Gloucestershire, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. Near it is a small ancient church for the accommodation of the inhabitants, who consist of a few small farmers and their labourers. The acreage is 783, and the population, in 1851, was 112.
Goodway Thomas, farmer
Hall William, carpenter
Hambridge John, farmer
Hambridge Samuel, farmer
West John, farmer
West William, farmer
Letters are received through Stow, via Bourton-on-the-water. The nearest money order office is at Stow.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.