Cherington, Gloucestershire

Cherington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Westrip.

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1568

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Cherington

  • Minchinhampton
  • Rodmarton
  • Avening
  • Tetbury

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Cherrington, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; 3 ¾ miles NNE of Tetbury, and 3 ¾ WSW of Brimscombe r. station. It includes Westrip hamlet; and its post-town is Avening, under Stroud. Acres, 1,880. Real property, £2,474. Pop., 232. Houses, 48. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £276. Patron, the Rev. W. George. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair. Professor Trap, the translator of Virgil, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Cherrington, 2 m. S.E. Minchinhampton. P.220

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Cherington (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Tetbury, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Tetbury; containing 220 inhabitants. The ancient manor-house was built by Sir John Turner; the park contains a great number of deer. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £13; net income, £176; patron, Rev. W. George. The church is a small edifice, with a nave, chancel, south transept, and low tower at the west end, exhibiting in some parts traces of the early English style. The Rev. Joseph Trapp, professor of poetry at Oxford, and the translator of Virgil, was born here in 1672.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Poll Books

Cherington Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Marriages

Marriages at Cherington 1569 to 1812

Note. – The Registers, which date from 1568, are contained in two parchment volumes, 10 ½ in. by 7 ¾ in., in original limp covers; and a third volume, 4to, in boards, which has combined printed forms for publication of Banns and registration of Marriages, and contains the entries from 1803. All are well preserved, and the writing, though faint from age in the earlier half of the first volume, is fairly legible.

Where the names of parishes are not given, the persons are resident in that of Cherington.

In the first and second volumes the Register of Marriages are indiscriminately mixed with those of Baptisms and Burials. They have been extracted and copied by the Rev. J. Nowill Bromehead, of Beverston, with the assistance of the Rev. C. Marriott, rector of the parish, and the proof has been collated with the Register.

Marriages at Cherington 1569 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Cherington Marriages 1803 to 1812
Cherington Marriages 1760 to 1803

Directories

Cherington Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Cherrington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tetbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Tetbury
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury