Charlton Abbots is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1727
Charlton-Abbotts [sic], a parish, in the union of Winchcombe, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 3⁄4 miles (S. by E.) from Winchcombe; containing 101 inhabitants, and comprising 1374a. 2r. 25p. Stone of inferior quality is raised for the repair of roads. In a farm-house is an apartment called Queen Elizabeth’s Room, with a beautifully carved mantel-piece, above which are the initials E. R. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £38; patron, W. L. Lawrence, Esq. The church is a neat edifice, has been recently repewed. A school is supported by the patron.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Charlton-Abbots, 2 m. S. Winchcombe. P. 101
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Charlton Abbots is a small parish and village in Winchcomb union, containing by the census of 1861, 109, and in 1871, 91 inhabitants, and 1372 acres of land; 2 ½ miles south from Winchcomb, 7 east from Cheltenham, and 97 from London; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Kitts gate, East Gloucestershire. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. James E. Allcock, M.A., of Hawling Rectory, is valued at £50 per annum, and is in the patronage of H. Ingles Chamberlain, Esq., who is lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and chief owner of the parish. The church is a square stone edifice, with tower and one bell. The rateable value of this parish is £1101.
Gibbs Frederick, farmer, Cotehay farm
Hanks John, farmer, Manor farm
Lane William, farmer, Holt farm
Lane William, parish clerk
Letters from Cheltenham via Andoversford. Winchcomb is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Charlton Abbotts is a township, parish and village in the lower division of Kiptsgate [sic] Hundred and Winchcomb Union, 2 ¾ miles from Winchcomb. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, patron and impropriator, Francis Pym, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. John Tucker, M.A.; the Rev. G. H. Biggs officiates. The church is a small ancient building, with 1 bell. Population, in 1851, 112, acreage, 1,372. Courthay and Holt are farms.
Gibbs Joseph, farmer, Courthay farm
Gillett Thomas, farmer & parish clerk
Hanks John, farmer
Lane George, farmer, Holt farm
Letters delivered by foot messenger from Andoversford, through Cheltenham. Winchcomb is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.