Buckland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Laverton.
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin: 1539
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The Marriages are contained in three books. Volume I, 1539-1754. Volume II, 1755-1803. Volume III, 1813-1839. The oldest book is an interesting parchment volume, containing some 69 pages, and divided into three divisions, Burials, Marriages, Baptisms. The earlier part is in the writing of Thomas Fowke, as the following entry placed before the Baptisms shows :-
“A true copie of the Register Booke Of Buckland and Laberton copied out and Written by Thomas Fowke als Wheler and Continued by John Maltbie, Parson ther Thomas Blissard & William Izode church Wardens and divers other p’ishioners in Anno Dni 1600.”
Fowke divided his paper into three columns, placing the name of the month on the left, and the date to the right of the entry proper. The writing is very good, and the whole book in fair condition, it measures 13 by 6 inches and has a flexible parchment cover. The extracts have been taken by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, M.A., and are printed under his supervision with the consent of the Rector, the Rev. F. HullMarriages at Buckland, 1539 to 1839 - Archive.org
Below is a list of people who were from Buckland but who were married in another parish.
Arthur Richardson, b., of Buckland, co. Gloucester, & Hannah Gibbs, s., lic. 20 Nov. 1789 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
BUCKLAND, a parish in Winchcombe district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 1¾ mile SW of Broadway, and 6¼ WSW of Campden r. station. It includes the hamlet of Laverton; and its Post Town is Broadway. Acres, 2,270. Real property, £3,283. Pop., 355. Houses, 77. The manor belonged formerly to the Greshams; and belongs now to Sir T. Phillips, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £222. Patron, Sir T. Phillips, Bart. The church is later English; has a fine painted window of the time of Edward IV.; and is in good condition. Thynne’s school has £30 from endowment.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Buckland with Leverton, 6 miles N.E. Winchcombe. P. 377
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
Buckland and Laverton Parish
|Batsford John||Buckland||50l renter||Buckland|
|Collett Richard||Buckland||lifehold house &c.||Buckland|
|Hawkes Joseph||Laverton||50l renter||Laverton|
|Lamley Robert||Winchcomb||freehold house &c.||ditto|
|Meadows John||Laverton||50l renter||ditto|
|Rastall Benjamin||Buckland||lifehold house &c.||Buckland|
|Richardson George||Laverton||50l renter||Laverton|