Brockworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Places included in Brockworth: Wellclose House, Crockworth Court, Droys Court, and Cooper’s Hill.
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Wesleyan.
Brockworth, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; on Ermine-street, in the vale of Gloucester, 4 miles ESE of Gloucester. It has a post office under Gloucester. Acres, 1,847. Real property, £4,308. Pop., 475. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The grounds called the Court were the site of a Roman station, and have yielded Roman remains. Cooper’s Hill, a steep projection from neighbouring hills, commands a brilliant view. The parish is a meet for the Cotswold hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, E. G. Davis, Esq. The church is perpendicular English, with Norman arches under the tower. John Theyer the antiquary, who died in 1673, was a native. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Brockworth, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s-Barton, county of Gloucester; 4 miles east-south-east of Gloucester. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £6 3s. 4d.; gross income £150. Patron, in 1835, J. Watts, Esq. There are two daily schools here. This parish is crossed by the Roman Ermin-street. Pop., in 1801, 350; in 1831, 390. Houses 87. Acres 2,360. A. P. £2,062. Poor rates, in 1837, £130.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Brockworth, 2m. S.E. Gloucester. P. 409
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Brockworth is a township, parish, and straggling village, distant 4 miles east from Gloucester railway station, and 7 south-west from Cheltenham, being intersected by the Ermine or Great Roman Foss Road, appearances of which were not long since to be seen. The population of this parish, in 1851, was 425; its soil is of a stiff clayey nature, the greater part of which is applied to pasture; it contains 1,847 acres, and is in the Gloucester Union, East Gloucestershire. Its rateable value is £2,750. Brockworth is in the Hundred of Dudstone and Kingsbarton, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and deanery of Winchcomb, being in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The benefice is a vicarage worth £150, with residence, and in the patronage of J. Watts, Esq.; the Rev. George Watts, M.A., is the incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. George, consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a low tower surmounted with a cone, the internal arches are in the early Norman style. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, also a National school for boys and girls. The Parsonage, the residence of Henry Jones, Esq. is situate here. In laying out the grounds of Brockworth Court, the property of John Wormald, Esq., several Roman antiquities were found. John Wormald, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Henry Jones and John Davis, Esqrs., are also extensive landowners in this parish.
Wellclose House, Crockworth Court, Droys Court, and Cooper’s Hill, are places here.
Brown Gopsill, esq. Wellclose house
Jones Henry, esq. Parsonage
Watts Rev. George, M.A.
Webb – , esq
Wormald John, esq. Crockworth court
Arkell Frederick, butcher
Bliss Samuel, shoemaker
Boulter James, miller, Mill
Chapman William, farmer
Coopey William, farmer
Cox Mary (Miss), shopkeeper
Gardner Charles, farmer, Droys court
Gransmore Ann (Miss), mistress of National school
Griffiths Joseph, cattle dealer
Hopton George, blacksmith
Knight James, farmer, Cooper’s hill
Mace Robert, farmer
Major Edwin, carpenter
Organ Richard, ‘Cross Hands’
Organ William, farmer, Cooper’s hill
Watts William, tailor
Letters through Gloucester, which is the nearest money order office.
Carriers (passing through Brockworth): - Bailey, from Cirencester to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day. Saddler, from Nettleton to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day. Merrett, from Caudle Green to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day.
Wesleyan Chapel, no regular minister
National School (for boys & girls), Miss Ann Gransmore, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.