Bream is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1752 from Newland Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1752
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Bream, or Breem, a tything in Newland parish, and a chapelry in Newland and West Dean parishes, Gloucester. The tything lies in Dean forest, 3 miles NW of Lydney r. station, and 3 ¾ SSE of Coleford. Pop., 824. Houses, 154. The chapelry was constituted in 1854; and this post-town is Lydney. Pop., 2,083. Houses, 404. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £155. Patron, the Bishop.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Breem, 3 m. S.E. Colford. P. 441
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Bream is a village and chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Newland, 4 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales line of railway, 4 ½ from Coleford, 8 from Monmouth, and 15 from Ross, in the diocese of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and parish of Newland, and the Hundred of St. Briavells. The church is a small building of stone, having a tower with cupola top, aisle, chancel, and 1 bell; the Rev. John Beverstock is curate. The population, in 1851, was 643.
Ames Thomas, grocer
Batten Rebecca (Mrs.), shoemaker
Billy Thomas, beer retailer
Ebbw Vale Coal Company (John Walkinshaw, man.), Oakwood valley
Hill Thomas, blacksmith
Hewlett George, grocer & linendraper
Hewlett Richard, farmer
Hewlett Thomas, farmer
James William, ‘Cross Keys’
Kear William, New Inn
Lucas Emmanuel, farmer
Phillips Richard, farmer
Summers William, farmer
Vimpany Amos, farmer
Letters are received through Lydney. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.