Bourton on the Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Moreton in Marsh is a chapelry of Bourton on the Hill.
Parish registers begin: 1568
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Bourton-on-the-Hill, a parish in the upper divisions of the hundreds of Tewksbury and Westminster, union of Shipston-on-Stour, county of Gloucester; 2 miles west of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, on the post-road to Evesham. It stands on the side of a hill, whence the prospect is varied and delightful. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £14, with the perpetual curacy of Moreton-in-the-Mnrsh annexed; gross income £675. Patron, in 1835, Dr. Warneford. The great and small tithes of Bourton-on-the-Hill and Moreton-in-the-Marsh, the property of the clerical rector and lay-impropriator, were commuted in 1821. This parish possesses two endowed Sunday schools and a daily school. Pop., in 1801. 369; in 1831, 553. Houses 111. Acres 2,960. A. P. £1,221. Poor rates, in 1837, £239
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Bourton-on-the-Hill, 1 mile W. Moreton-in-the-Marsh. P. 542
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL is a township and village pleasantly situated 2 miles from Moreton station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line of railway, 30 miles from Gloucester, and 4 from Campden, in the Hundred of Tewkesbury and Westminster and Union of Shipston-on-Stour, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone building, having a plain tower, aisles and 6 bells. The living is a rectory attached to Moreton-in-the-Marsh; the Rev. Robert Jarratt is the present incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 550; the acreage contained in the parish is 2,771 acres. The Right Hon. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor.
East Sir James Buller, bart. MP. Bourton house
Jarratt Rev. Robert [rector]
Bartlett Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer & shopkeeper
Callis William, baker & butcher
Darling Samuel, ‘Horse & Groom’
Davis Francis, grocer
Grey Alfred, shopkeeper
Hatherway Thomas, farmer
Haycock Daniel, blacksmith
Hobbs William, shoemaker
Lamb Henry, shoemaker
Packer John, blacksmith & beer retailer
Phillips John, farmer
Simmons Robert, tailor & postmaster
Stayte Thomas, farmer
Wheatley Joseph, farmer & baker
White Joseph, tailor
Wright on Edwin, farmer
Letters are received through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is also the nearest money order office.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.