Bitton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Oldland is a chapelry of Bitton.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Bitton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Langley and Swinehead, county of Gloucester; 6 miles south-east of Bristol, on the northern bank of the river Avon, and in the vicinity of the Great Western railway. It comprises the chapelries of Hanham and Oldland, with the hamlet of Bitton. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, valued at £18 15s.; gross income £350. The church is a handsome edifice in the Norman style of architecture. A new church has been erected here by the parliamentary commissioners, in the Gothic style, with a tower, at an expense of £2,293. Sittings 1,019. There are seven daily and seven Sunday schools in this parish, besides three infant schools. Charities connected with Bitton produce about £27 per annum. In this parish are extensive collieries, and much iron ore; 531 men are employed in coal-mines, quarries, and on the railroad. At Hanham there are traces of a camp and station of the Romans. Pop., in 1801, 4,992; in 1831, 8,703. Houses 1,696. Acres 7,520. A.P. £15,373. Pop. of the hamlet, in 1801, was 1,094; and in 1831, 2,258. Houses 435. A.P. £7,386. Poor rates, in 1837, £753.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Bitton, 4 m. S.E. Bristol. P. 9338
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The registers of Bitton, Co. Gloucester.
Transcribed by P. W. P. Carlyon-Britton.
Published 1900 by Privately printed for the Parish Register Society in London.