Bibury

Cottages by Arlington Row in Bibury. The copyright on this image is owned by Steve Daniels and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Bibury Gloucestershire Family History

Bibury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Winson is a chapelry of Bibury.

The parish contains the chapelry of Winson, the township of Bibury, and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1551

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Bibury Church Bibury church is dedicated to St Mary.The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Parishes adjacent to Bibury

  • Coln St Aldwyn
  • Winson
  • Barnsley
  • Meysey Hampton
  • Aldsworth
  • Quenington
  • Coln St Dennis
  • Eastington

Historical Descriptions

Bibury Court by John Menard from Phoenix, USA. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Bibury

Bibury Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bibury, 7 miles N.E. Cirencester. P. 1077.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Bibury The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bibury, a parish, partly in the hund. of Bradley, and partly in that of Brightwell’s Barrow, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north west of Fairford, intersected by the proposed Ireland, Cheltenham, and London Junction railway. It contains the chapelry of Winson, the township of Bibury, and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington. Living, a discharged vicarage, united with the curacy of Winson; valued at £13 1s. 5½d.; gross income £1,045; a peculiar, within which the vicar exercises concurrent jurisdiction with the consistory court of Gloucester. Patron, in 1835, Lord Sherborne. The north and south doors of the church, supposed to have been rebuilt by the works of Osenay, are of Norman architecture. All tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, were commuted in 1767. There are two daily schools here, one of which, on the Lancasterian system, is partly supported by an allowance of £5 per annum from Lord Sherborne, who has also provided the necessary accommodation, and a day and boarding school. There is an alms-house here, endowed by Hugh Westwood, for four poor men. It is a stone building, consisting of four apartments. Other charities connected with the parish produce £11 per annum. Petty sessions for the division of Bibury are held at the Swan inn here. Races take place in July. Pop., in 1801, 852; in 1831, 950. Houses 201. Acres 6,300. A.P. £2,022. Poor rates, in 1837, £329.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Ablington

Ablington Gloucestershire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ablington, a tything in Bibury parish, Gloucester; on the river Coln, 5½ miles NW of Fairford. Pop., 113. Houses, 21.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Ablington Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ablington, 6 m. N.E. Cirencester. P. 96.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Ablington Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Ablington, a tything, in the parish of Bibury, Union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwell’s-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Fairford; containing 96 inhabitants. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £364. 5.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV

Ablington The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Ablington, a tything in the parish of Bibury, Gloucestershire; 5½ miles north-north-west from Fairford, and 1½ from Bibury. Pop., in 1801, 118; in 1831, 103.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Ablington Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ablington, co. Gloucesier.

P. T. Fairford (80) 5¼ m. NNW. Pop. 127.

A tything in the parish of Bibury and hundred of Brightswell Barron.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Ablington Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808

Ablington, a hamlet to Bibury, in the hundred of Brightwell Barrow, Gloucester, 6 miles from Cirencester; containing 22 houses and 113 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.

Arlington

Arlington. The village is divided into Bibury and Arlington. This scene is of Arlington. Bibury contains the hotels and a famous Trout farm and the mill, now a museum. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Arlington, in Bibury parish. P. 731

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Arlington, a tything in the parish of Bibury, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north-north-west from Fairford. Pop., in 1801, 274; in 1831, 333. Houses 79. There is a Baptist church here.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Arlington, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Fairford (80) 4 m. NNW. Pop. 317.

A tything in the parish of Bibury and hundred of Brightwells-Barrow

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Winston

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Winston, in Bibury, 6 miles N.W. Cirencester. P. 202

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Bibury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Winson Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Northleach
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Fairford
  • Poor Law Union: Northleach
  • Hundred: Bradley; Brightwells Barrow
  • Province: Canterbury