Beckford

Photo of Beckford Church by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.

Beckford Gloucestershire Family History

Beckford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Ashton under Hill is a chapelry of Beckford.

Beckford is now in Worcestershire and is part of Wychavon district.

Other places in the parish include: Bangrove, Didcote or Didcot, and Grafton.

Parish church: St John the Baptist

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Beckford

  • Great Washbourne
  • Oxenton
  • Overbury
  • Dumbleton
  • Winchcombe
  • Ashton under Hill
  • Teddington
  • Alderton

Historical Descriptions

Beckford

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Beckford, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, 7 miles SW of Evesham; and has a r. station, and a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bangrove, Didcote, and Grafton. Acres, 2,650. Real property, £2,454. Pop., 473. Houses, 103. The property is divided among a few. Beckford Hall is the seat of Hattil Foll, Esq. The manor was given, in the time of Henry I., to the Abbey of St. Martin in Normandy; and passed, after the suppression, first to Eton college, next to Fotheringhay, next to Sir Richard Lee. The living is a vicarage, united to the p. curacy of Ashton-under-Hill, in the diocese of Gloucester and bristol. Value, £317.* Patron, the Rev. Dr. Timbrill. The church is Norman, was recently restored, and has a lofty tower, crowned with pinnacles. Charities, £47.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Grafton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Grafton, a hamlet in Beckford parish, Gloucester; 6 miles SSW of Evesham. Real property, £1,328. A landslip of about 16 acres, from the side of Breedon hill, occurred here in 1764, and entirely covered the pasture-grounds below.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Tibaldstone
  • Province: Canterbury