Awre

St Andrew's parish church, Awre, Gloucestershire, seen from the southeast by Robert Cutts from Bristol, England. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

Awre Gloucestershire Family History

Awre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

The parish includes also the tythings of Bledisloe, Hagloe, Etloe, Etloe-Duchy and the chapelry of Blakeney.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1538; Separate registers exist for Blakeney: 1813

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Protestant Dissenters.

Parishes adjacent to Awre

  • Cinderford
  • Newnham
  • Lydney
  • Dean Forest St Paul

Historical Descriptions

Awre

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Awre, a tything and a parish in the district of Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucester. The tything lies on the river Severn, and on the South Wales railway, 2 miles SE of Newnham; and has a post-office under Newnham. The parish includes also the tythings of Bledisloe, Hagloe, Etloe, and Blakeney. Acres, 6,115; of which 2,035 are water. Real property, £10,888. Pop., 1,526. Houses, 287. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land has been washed away by the Severn. Iron pyrites occur. The weaving of cloth is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £580. The church is in good repair. The p. curacy of Blakeney is a separate charge. Sternhold, one of the translators of the English metrical version of the Psalms, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Awre Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aure [sic], 2 m. S.E. Newnham. P. 1277

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Awre, a parish in the hund. of Blidesloe, union of Westbury, Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles east-north east from Blakeney; on the estuary of the Severn, which bounds the parish on three sides. It includes the chapelry of Blakeney (which see) and the tythings of Blidesloe, Etloe, Etloe-Duchy, and Hagloe. Living, a vicarage in connection with Poulton, transferred from the archd. of Hereford to that of Gloucester, in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 5s.; gross income £572; and in the patronage of the Haberdashers’ company, London. There are three daily schools here, two whereof are National. Charities connected with the parish produce about £24 per annum. Sternhold, one of the translators of the common English metrical version of the Psalms, was born here. Pop., in 1801, 952; in 1831, 1,309. Houses 219. Acres 4,120. A. P. £6,632. Poor rates, in 1837, £503.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Awre, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Blakeney (123) 2½ m. ENE. Pop. 1138.

A parish in the hundred of Blideslow; living a vicarage (with Poulton), in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K.B. 10l. 5s.; church ded. to St. Andrew; patrons, the Haberdasher’s company, London. The woollen cloth factories employ a great many of the inhabitants of this parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Blakeney

Blakeney Church. 18th century Church of All Saints at Blakeney sits beside the A48. Blakeney is at the edge of the Forest of Dean and 2Km from the river Severn. The copyright on this image is owned by Vincent Jones and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blakeney, included in Aure, 3 m. S. Newnham.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Blakeney The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Blakeney, a tything in the parish of Awre, hund, of Blidesloe, county of Gloucester; 14 miles south-west by west of Gloucester, on the western bank of the river Severn. Living, a curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, of the yearly value of £250; in tbe patronage of the Haberdashers’ company, London. The Baptists have a place of worship here. Fairs for live stock are held on 12th May, and 12th November. Pop. returned with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bledisloe

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blidesloe [sic], included in Aure parish

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Awre Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Blakeney Bennetts Business Directory 1899

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
  • Probate Court: Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
  • Hundred: Bledisloe
  • Province: Canterbury