Ashchurch

Photo of Church of St. Nicholas, Ashchurch, Gloucestershire. by Necrothesp, some rights reserved.

Ashchurch Gloucestershire Family History

Ashchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Pamington, Fiddington and Natton, Aston-on-Carron, Homedowns and Northway and Newton.

Parish Church: St Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists in Ashchurch include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ashchurch

  • Woolstone
  • Bredon
  • Oxenton
  • Tewkesbury
  • Tewkesbury Holy Trinity
  • Tredington
  • Overbury
  • Teddington
  • Kemerton
  • Walton Cardiff

Ashchurch - Great Malvern railway View up Mill branch to Tewkesbury Junction and Ashchurch, along course of original (1840) line. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Historical Descriptions

Ashchurch

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Ashchurch, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, at the junction of the Tewkesbury branch, 2 miles E of Tewkesbury. It has a station on the railway; it includes the tythings of Pamington, Fiddington and Natton, Aston-on-Carron, and Northway and Newton; and its Post Town is Tewkesbury. Acres, 4,201. Real property, £11,801. Pop., 771. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. There is a mineral spring of similar quality to the waters of Cheltenham. The living. is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270.* Patron, Rev.N. Williams. The church is later English, with a Norman porch and a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26. The junction of the Tewkesbury branch railway is at Ashchurch; and a railway from A. to Evesham was formed under an act of 1862.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashchurch, 6 m. N.E. Tewkesbury. P. 743

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Ashchurch Station Station as seen from footbridge, looking southward down the main line towards Cheltenham, Gloucester and Bristol, with a Sunday Excursion train from Hereford via Gloucester to Dudley entering. The branch to Tewkesbury and Malvern ran to the right behind the main building: the line to Evesham, Barnt Green and Birmingham (also the siding into the great Army Depot) is seen diverging to the left. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Ashchurch, a parish in the lower division of the hund. and union of Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire; 2 miles east-north-east from Tewkesbury. It contains the tythings of Aston-upon-Carron, Fiddington and Natton, Northway and Newton, and Pamington. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £23, and in the parliamentary returns at £41 16s.; gross income £50. Patron, in 1835, F. H. Romney. The chapel consists of a nave, chancel, and northern aisle.

Certain tithes of Aston-upon-Carron and Pamington, Homedowns, the property of the impropriators and feoffees of Bredon alms-houses, commuted in 1812. There are four daily schools in the parish. Charities connected with the parish produce £26 yearly. There is a mineral spring here, the water of which is similar to that of Cheltenham. The Tewkesbury branch railway will here join the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Pop., in 1801, 558; in 1831, 649. Houses 131. Acres 4,240. A P. £7,265. Poor rates, in 1837, £304.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ashchurch, co. Gloucester.

P.T. Tewkesbury (163) 1½ m. ENE. Pop. 643.

A parish in the hundred of Tewkesbury lower division; living, a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Tewkesbury, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified val. 23l.; ann. val. P. R. 41l. 16s.; patron (1829) John Parsons, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Aston-on-Carron

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston-upon-Carron, 2 miles E. Tewkesbury. P. 179

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Aston-On-Carron, a tything in the parish of Ashchurch, Gloucestershire; 4 ¼ miles north-east from Tewkesbury. Pop., in 1801, 149; in 1831, 167. Houses 37. A. P. £1,053.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

The Manor, Aston on Carrant. Photo Credit: Philip Halling.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Aston-upon-Carron, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Tewkesbury (103) 2 m. E b N. Pop. 166.

A tything in the parish of Ashchurch, in the lower division of the hundred of Tewkesbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Fiddington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Fiddington, 2½ m. Tewkesbury. P. 194

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Natton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Natton, a hamlet in Ashchurch parish, Gloucester; ½ a mile S by E of Ashchurch village.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Northway

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Northway, 13 m. Tewkesbury. P. 230

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Pamington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pamington, 2m. Tewkesbury. P. 140

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Ashchurch Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Ashchurch Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Ashchurch Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Marriages

Marriages at Ashchurch 1555-1837

Marriages at Ashchurch 1555-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Ashchurch Marriages 1825 to 1837
Ashchurch Marriages 1814 to 1824
Ashchurch Marriages 1800 to 1813
Ashchurch Marriages 1775 to 1799
Ashchurch Marriages 1754 to 1774
Ashchurch Marriages 1730 to 1754
Ashchurch Marriages 1715 to 1729
Ashchurch Marriages 1703 to 1714
Ashchurch Marriages 1650 to 1702
Ashchurch Marriages 1625 to 1649
Ashchurch Marriages 1600 to 1624

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury