Arlingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
The parish includes the hamlet of Overton.
Parish church: St. Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Note: Awre, Newnham and Westbury on Severn are separated from Arlingham by the river Severn.
Arlingham, 2 m. S.E. Newnham. P. 793
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Arlingham (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Newnham; containing 793 inhabitants. The parish is situated on a nook of land, formed by a curvature of the river Severn, by which it is bounded on three sides, and across which is a ferry to Newnham: from an eminence called Barrow hill is a very extensive and pleasing view. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £19. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Hodges, to whom also the impropriation belongs; net income, £193. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, by an inclosure act, in 1801. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent-charge of £40; she also gave an additional rent-charge of £40 for the benefit of the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Arlingham, a parish in the hund. of Berkeley, union of Wheatenhurst, Gloucestershire; 1 mile south-east of Newnham; on the opposite side of the estuary of the Severn. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £19 17s. 8 ½ d.; gross income £200. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs Rogers. The tithes were commuted in 1801. The parish is surrounded on three sides by the Severn. A school was endowed here, in 1765, by Mrs Mary Yate: it has a revenue of £40 per annum, of which £20 are paid to the master, £10 to the mistress, and £10 are laid out in the purchase of books. In 1833, 54 children were educated on this endowment. The same lady also left £40 per annum to the poor of this parish. There are two infant schools here. Pop., in 1801, 506; in 1831, 744. Houses 103. Acres 2,300. A. P. £4,110. Poor rates, in 1837, £336.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Arlingham, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Newnham (120) 2 m. SE. Pop. 715.
A parish in the hundred of Berkeley, upper division; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 19l. 7s. 8½d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) Mrs. Rogers. This village is rendered peninsular, by the windings of the Severn which renders it damp and unhealthy to strangers.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Arlingham, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S.E. by E.) from Newnham, containing 715 inhabitants. The living is a Vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king’s books at £19. 7. 8½. Mrs. Rogers was patroness in 1814. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Arlingham is situated on a nook of land, formed by a curvature of the river Severn, by which the parish is bounded on three sides. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent charge of £40 per ammm, £20 of which she directed should be paid to the master, £10 to the mistress, and the remainder to be laid out in purchasing books. She also gave an additional rent charge of £40 per annum for the beneﬁt of the poor. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Arlingham is a township, parish and village, 13 miles south from Gloucester station, 8 from Stonehouse, 5 from Whitminster, in Newnham county court district, Upper Berkeley hundred, Wheatenhurst union, West Gloucestershire, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the navigable river Severn. The church of St. Mary is a stone building in the Early English style; it has a tower with 6 bells, nave, porch, chancel, organ, font, and several handsome monuments. The living is a vicarage, value £270 yearly, with residence, in the gift of John Sayer, Esq., who owns the rectorial tithes; the Rev. Thomas Holmes Ravenhill, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a National school for 80 children, endowed by the late John Yate, Esq., with £40 per annum. There is an ancient court-house. The population in 1861 was 693; the acreage is 2,000. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clayey. R. S. Holford, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £40 yearly value; also the interest of £200, left by C. Vale, Esq., for an Infant school and an alternate presentation to the Warwick hospital. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The Reddings, Barrow Hill, Slowe House, Wick, The Wharf, Upper and Lower Milton End are places here.
Overton is a hamlet, 1 mile and a half distant.
Parish clerk, John Hayward.
Campbell Capt. John, The Reddings
Fryer Miss Elizabeth, Barrow hill
Irving John, esq
Ravenhill Rev. Thomas Holmes, M.A. Vicarage
Sayers John, esq. Slowe house
Watkins Mr. William
Burcher Daniel, farmer
Butt Edward, farmer
Carter John & Giles, fanners, Puckpool farm
Chandler Robert, farmer
Coleman William, farmer
Hayward Samuel, shopkeeper
Hayward Samuel, jun. New inn
Hobbs William, blacksmith
Jeens John, tailor
Jones Charles, bootmaker
Martin Charles, farmer, Wick farm
Merrett Charles, farmer
Merrett Henry, farmer, Wharf farm
Merrett John, farmer
Merrett Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Phillips George, shopkeeper
Phipps William, farmer
Probert Richard, blacksmith
Varney John, Bed Lion, & carrier
Vernon John & Haward, farmers, Lower Milton End farm
Watkins Samuel, beer retailer
Weston Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wilkinson William, carpenter & wheelwright
Williams Charles, farmer. Slough farm
Wither George, fanner, Upper Milton End farm
Camm Mr. John
Ballinger George, farmer
Browning Charles, farmer
Camm Charles, beer retailer
Hayward Joseph, farmer & beer retailr
Martin Charles, farmer, Wick farm
Pitcher Daniel, farmer
Smith John, farmer
Tooby Matthew, farmer
Post Opfice. — William Bodnum, postmaster. Letters arrive from Stonehouse at 10.30 a.m,; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is Newnham.
Public Schools:— National, John Cock, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Cock, mistress
Infant, Mrs. Mary Ann Hobbs, mistress
Carrier to Stroud. — Jones, friday, returning same day
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.