Alderton Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Photo of Alderton church. Alderton's mediaeval parish church, dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch. by David Bowd-Exworth, some rights reserved.

Alderton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Dixton.

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1596

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

School: mixed village school supported by voluntary subscriptions together with the weekly payments of the children.

Parishes adjacent to Alderton

  • Great Washbourne
  • Woolstone
  • Oxenton
  • Overbury
  • Prescott
  • Dumbleton
  • Winchcombe
  • Bishop’s Cleeve
  • Stanley Pontlarge
  • Beckford

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Alderton, a parish in Winchcombe district, Gloucester; 5 miles ESE of Ashchurch r. station, and 9 NNE of Cheltenham. It has a post-office under Cheltenham; and contains the hamlet of Dixton. Acres, 1,750. Real property, £2,067. Pop., 487. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. Here are remains of a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450. Patron, the Rev. C. Covey. The church is good. Charities, £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Alderton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Tewkesbury, union of Winchcomb, county of Gloucester; 7 miles east of Tewkesbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £22 1s. 10d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, T. L. Townsend. Near the village are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Charities to the poor of this parish amount to £11 13s. 6d. yearly. Pop., in 1801, 222; in 1831, 330. Houses 72. Acres 1,750. A. P. £3,108. Poor rates, in 1837. £109.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alderton with Dixon, 6 miles E. Tewkesbury. P. 411.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Alderton (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury, E division of the county of Gloucester, 4 ½ miles (N.N.W.) from Winchcomb; containing, with the hamlet of Dixton, 411 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1750 acres; the surrounding country is picturesque and beautiful, and extensive views are commanded from the neighbouring hills. Near Alderton Hill stood the fine old mansion, recently taken down, where one of the ancestors of the family of Tracy (Lord Sudely) was born; and at Dixton is a large manor-house, where the Higfords, who have been great benefactors to the parish, resided for several centuries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £22. 1. 10½ .; net income, £337; patron, Rev. C. Covey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150; the glebe consists of about 9 acres, and a commodious parsonage-house has recently been built. The church, which is an ancient structure, is distinguished for the elegance of its arches. A school is supported by subscription. At Dixton Hill are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Numerous fossils are found in the stone quarries in the parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Alderton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Tewkesbury, union of Winchcomb, county of Gloucester; 7 miles west of Tewkesbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £22 1s. 10d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, T. L. Townsend. Near the village are the remains of a Saxon encampment. Charities to the poor of this parish amount to £11 13s. 6d. yearly. Pop., in 1801, 222; in 1831, 330. Houses 72. Acres 1,750. A. P. £3,108. Poor rates, in 1837, £109.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Alderton, co. Gloucester. P.T. Winchcomb (95¼) 3¾ m.NNW. Pop. 312.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 22l. 1s. 10½d.; church ded. to St. Margaret; patron (1829) John Parsons, Esq. The remains of a Saxon encampment in this parish are still visible.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815

Alderton, (Glouc.) a small village near Tewkesbury, in the vicinity of which are some Saxon encampments. Distant from Gloucester 15 miles. Population, 264.

Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.

Directories

Alderton Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Alderton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Alderton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Winchcombe