Adlestrop

Photo of Adlestrop House by Jason Ballard, some rights reserved.

Adlestrop Gloucestershire Family History & Genealogy

Adlestrop is a parish in Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene

Parish registers begin: 1538

There is a day school for boys and girls and a Sunday school.

South transept and west tower of St Mary Magdalene's parish church, Adlestrop, Gloucestershire, seen from the southeast. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Parishes adjacent to Adlestrop

  • Evenlode
  • Cornwell
  • Chastleton
  • Daylesford
  • Oddington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Addlestrop, a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; on the river Evenlode, 3½ miles ENE of Stow-on-the-Wold. It has a station, with Stow-Road, on the Midland railway. Post-town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 184. Houses, 42. The manor belonged to the abbey of Evesham, passed at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Leigh, and is now the property of Lord Leigh. Addlestrop House, the seat of his lordship, is a large and interesting mansion, partly of considerable antiquity, amid beautiful grounds laid out by Adey Repton. The living is a rectory, united to the rectory of Broadwell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1764, and is in good condition. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Adlestrop, 4 m. N. E. Stow. P. 200 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Adlestrop (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3 ¾ miles (E by N) from Stow; containing 200 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the road from Stow to Chipping-Norton, and on the south-west by the river Evenlode, and is situated on the borders of Oxfordshire, not far distant from the southern extremity of the county of Warwick. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Broadwell: the tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1775. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1764. A school for boys is supported at the expense of the rector, and one for girls has a small endowment. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adlestrop, a parochial chapelry in the upper division of Slaughter hund., Stow-in-the-Wold union, Gloucestershire; 3¾ miles east by north from Stow-in-the-Wold. Living, a curacy to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol. Tithes commuted in 1775. There are two daily and Sunday National schools here. Pop., in 1801, 225; in 1831, 196. Houses 40. Acres 1,320. A. P. £2,199. Poor rates, in 1837, £64. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Adlestrop, co. Gloucester. P. T. Stow-in-the-Wold (82¾) 3¾ m. E b N. Pop. 229.

A village in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter; living, a chapelry to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; church ded. to St. Mary Magdalen; patron (1829) J. H. Leigh, Esq. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807

Addlesthorp [sic], (Glouc.) a village, pleasantly situated on a gentle, declivity near Stow on the Would and the borders of Oxfordshire. Its church was twice rebuilt in the space of 1 year, in consequence of the builder’s unskilfulness. In the vicinity is Castleton Hill, a Danish camp. Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807

Directories

Adlestrop Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Adlestrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Addlestrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Adlestrop or Ædlesthorp Bigland 1786

Adlestrop or Ædlesthorp Bigland 1786

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
  • Hundred: Slaughter
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Petty Sessional Division:
  • Couty Court District: Stow on the Wold