Alverthorpe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the West Riding of the county of Yorkshire, created in 1826 from Wakefield All Saints Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Silcoates, Newton, Kirkham Gate, Fanshaw, and Alverthorpe with Thornes Fanshaw, Kirkham Gate, Silcoates, and Newton.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Alverthorpe with Thornes, Wakefield St Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1825
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1825
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Alverthorpe
- South Ossett
- Ossett cum Gawthorpe
- Ardsley East
- Wakefield St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALVERTHORPE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Wakefield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Wakefield; and has a post office under Wakefield. The township bears the name of Alverthorpe with-Thornes; lies partly within the borough boundaries of Wakefield; and contains the hamlets of Fanshaw, Kirkham-Gate, and Silcoates, and part of the hamlet of Newton. Acres, 3,153. Real property, £23,690. Pop., 6,645. Houses, 1,423. The property is much subdivided.—The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 4,590. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wakefield. The church is large, modern, and handsome. There are three Methodist chapels, the Northern Congregational grammar school, four national schools, and charities £50.-The subdistrict is co-extensive with the township.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allerthorpe, or Alverthorpe, a township with Thornes, and a chapelry in the parish of Wakefield, west riding of York; 1 mile north-east of Wakefield. Living, a curacy, formerly in the archd. and dio. of York, now in the archd. of Craven and dio. of Ripon; gross income £72. Patron, the vicar of Wakefield. Pop., in 1801. 3,105; in 1831, 4,859. Houses 999. Acres 2,930. A. P. £8,129. Poor rates, in 1837, £1,360.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alverthorpe, 1½ m. N.W. Wakefield. P. included therein
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Alverthorpe, in the parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile from Wakefield, 4 from Dewsbury. – Pop. including Thornes, 4,448, which being united form a township.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Wakefield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Wakefield