Almondbury, Yorkshire Family History Guide



Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1557
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodists, New Connexion

Other places in the parish include:

  • Almondbury with Cold Hill
  • Fennybridge
  • Castle Hill Side
  • Oaks
  • Newsome and Thorpe
  • Austonley
  • Castlehillside
  • Castle Hill Side
  • Coldhill
  • Crosland Hill
  • Fennybridge
  • Lingards
  • Lingarths
  • Linguards
  • Newsome
  • Oaks
  • Thorpe

Parishes adjacent to Almondbury

  • Milnsbridge
  • Armitage Bridge
  • Kirkheaton
  • Farnley Tyas
  • Linthwaite
  • Kirkburton
  • Huddersfield St Peter
  • South Crosland
  • Paddock

Historical Descriptions

Almondbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALMONDBURY, a town, a township, a subdistrict, and a parish in the district of Huddersfield, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands near the Colne river and the Sheffield railway, 2 miles SE of Huddersfield. It has a post office under Huddersfield, and a fair on Easter-Monday. It was anciently called Albanbury. It is supposed by some antiquaries to have been the Campodunum of the Romans; and it seems certainly to have been a seat of the Kings of Northumbria. An ancient castle crowned an eminence at it, strongly fortified by double wall and trenches, and interiorly disposed in outer and inner courts; and a few traces of this still exist, in an almost vitrified state, proving it to have been destroyed by fire. The township includes also the hamlets of Coldhill, Fennybridge,-Castlehillside, Oaks, Newsome, and Thorpe. Acres, 2,585. Real property, £22,943. Pop., 10,361. Houses, 2,225. The subdistrict comprises the townships of Almondbury and Farnley-Tyas. Acres, 4,208. Pop., 11,063. Houses, 2,376. The parish, in addition to this subdistrict, comprises the subdistricts of Lockwood, Meltham, and Honley, and part of the subdistricts of Slaithwaite and Holmfirth. Acres, 28,092. Rated property, exclusive of the chapelries of Nether-Thong, Armitage-Bridge, and Helme, £175,443. Pop. in 1841, 37,315; in 1861, 42,889. Houses, 8,884. The property in many parts is much subdivided. A large proportion of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and woollen factories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £571. Patron, Sir J. W. Ramsden, Bart. The church is in the perpendicular English style. The chapelries of Honley, Meltham, Marsden, Linthwaite, Lockwood, Crossland, Nether-Thong, Upper-Thong, Holme-Bridge, Farnley-Tyas, Meltham-Mills, Milns-Bridge, Armitage-Bridge, Rashcliff, Wilshaw, and Helme, are all within the parish; and there are various chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Methodists. A free grammar school was founded in the time of James I., and has £75 a year from endowment; and other charities have £348.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Almondbury, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, union of Huddersfield, west riding of York. It includes the townships ot Almondbury, Austonley, South Crossland, Farnley-Tyas, Holme, Lingarths, Linthwaite, Lockwood, and Upper Thong, with the chapelries of Honley, Meltham, Marsden, and Nether Thong. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of York; rated at £20 7s. 11d.; gross income £255. The patronage is vested in the governors of Clithero school. The great and small tithes, and moduses of the manor of Honley, the property of the Clitheroe free grammar-school and the vicar, commuted in 1782. There are churches in Almondbury, Crossland, Holme, Linthwaite, and Nether Thong; the three last built about 1830. Pop., in 1801, 26,963; in 1831, 30,606. Houses 5,545. Acres 30,140. A. P. £26,868. The inhabitants are chiefly occupied in manufactures, and the population has increased by 6,627 persons, in consequence, it is believed, of the extension of these. In 1838, there were 3 cotton-mills employing 767 hands; 67 woollen mills employing 3,158 hands; and 2 silk mills employing 42 hands, within this parish. The township of Almondbury is 1½ mile south-east of Huddersfield. The Wesleyan and New Connexion Methodists have chapels here. There is a free grammar-school here, which was founded by letters patent of James I., and has an endowment of about £100 per annum, derived from lands and rent-charges, bequeathed by Robert Nettleton and others. There is also a fund for the instruction and apprenticing of poor children belonging to the place, derived from lands left by Israel Wormall in 1724. The yearly revenue of this charity amounted, in 1827, to £161 8s. 6d. By the bequest of Robert Nettleton in 1620, some property was left for the behoof of the poor of this township. The rents amount to £137 11s. 6d. The other charities connected with this township amount to £11 10s. There are in all seven daily schools, and nine Sunday schools, in this township. In the opinion of Camden, Almondbury, anciently called Albanbury, was the Campedonum of the Romans; but Dr Whitaker thinks otherwise, and says that it was undoubtedly Saxon, and the seat of the Saxon kings. The town was burnt in the wars between Eden, prince of the country, and Penda, king of Mercia. Pop., in 1801, 3,751; in 1831, 7,086. Houses 1,303. Acres 2,550. A. P. £4,300. Poor rates, in 1837, £879 There was a castle on a neighbouring eminence, the ruins of which may still be seen.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Almondbury, 1½ m. E. Huddersfield. P. 35,859

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Austonley

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Austonley, a township in the parish of Almondbury, west riding of Yorkshire; 7½ miles south-east from Huddersfield. Pop., in 1801, 674; in 1831, 1,420. Houses 238. Acres 1,760. A. P. £972. Poor rates, in 1837, £249. There is a day and Sun day school here.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Austonley, 7 m. S.E. Huddersfield. P. 1940

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Ainley Elias, Thongsbridge, Almondbury, Yorkshire, clothier, Dec. 18, 1829.

Armitage George, Moor Well, Almondbury, Yorkshire, woollen cloth manufacturer, March 19, 1830.

Backhouse Daniel, Spring Mill, Almondbury, Yorkshire; and Joshua Woodcock, jun., Wakefield; dyers, Jan. 12, 1827.

Beaumont William, Steps mill, Almondbury, Yorkshire, fulling and scribbling miller, Feb. 27, 1827.

Berry Matt., Newsome cross, Almondbury, Yorkshire, clothier, Jan. 27, 1821.

Boothroyd Joshua, Almondbury, Yorkshire, fancy cloth manuf., Feb. 14, 1826.

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Huddersfield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Huddersfield
Hundred: Agbrigg
Province: York



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.