Acaster Selby Yorkshire Family History Guide



Acaster Selby, St John The Evangelist
Photo of Acaster Selby, St John The Evangelist by Bill Henderson, some rights reserved.

Acaster Selby with Appleton Roebuck is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire. The parish comprises the townships of Acaster Selby and Appleton-Roebuck. Acaster Selby was formerly included in the parish of Stillingfleet, but was, by an Order in Council, dated 13th November, 1850, formed into a separate ecclesiastical district. In October 1875, the township of Appleton-Roebuck was detached from the parish of Bolton Percy and added to Acaster Selby, thereby forming the new parish of Acaster Selby-with-Appleton-Roebuck.

Alternative names: Nether-Acaster

Parish church: St John

Parish registers begin: 1850

Parishes adjacent to Acaster Selby

Historical Descriptions

Acaster Selby

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ACASTER-SELBY, a township-chapelry in Stillingfleet parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 3 miles E of Bolton-Percy r. station, and 8 S of York. Post Town, Tadcaster. Acres, 1,523. Real property, £2,638. Pop., 154. Houses, 26. The property be longed anciently to the Abbey of Selby; and it still is undivided. A college for a provost and two or three fellows was founded on it by Robert Stillington. The chapelry was constituted in 1850, and is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £40. Patron, Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. The church is very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Acaster-Selby, 7 miles N.W. Selby. P. incl in Stillingfleet

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Acaster-Selby, a township, in the parish of Stillingfleet, E. division of Ainsty wapentake, and W. riding of York, 7 ¼ miles (S. by W.) from York; containing 188 inhabitants. This place, which anciently belonged to the abbot of Selby, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the navigable river Ouse. A college for a provost and two or three fellows, one of whom was to instruct children, was founded here by Robert Stillington, the revenue of which, at the dissolution was £33. 10. 4. A school is aided by a small endowment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Acaster-Selby, or Nether-Acaster, a township on the river Ouse, in that part of the parish of Stillingfleet which lies within the ainsty of the city of York. It is about 3 miles south of Over-Acaster, and 7 north-north-west from Selby, to the abbots of which place it belonged: hence its name. Tanner says: “A college for a provost and two or three fellows, one of whom was to teach school, was founded here by Robert Stillington. It was dedicated to St. Andrew; valued, 26° Henry VIII., at £33 10s. 4d. in the whole, and at £27 13s. 4d. per annum clearly; and the next year at £33 8s. 11d. d. clearly; and was granted 2° Edward VI., to John Hulse and William Pendred.” There is a free-school here, with an endowment of £7 7s. per annum. The Northern and Eastern railwav passes within 11 chains of the town. Pop, in 1801, 178; in 1831, 201. Houses 32. Acres 1,360. A. P. £2,017. Poor rates, in 1837, £175.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

THE NEW YORKSHIRE GAZETTEER 1828

Acaster Selby, (5) a township in the parish of Stillingfleet, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; but Acaster itself is situated in the Ainsty, on the west side of the river Ouse, 6 miles S. from York. Inhabitants, 188. This village was formerly a part of the possessions of the Abbot of Selby.
Source: The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary; Stephen Reynolds Clarke; London 1828

LANGDALE A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF YORKSHIRE 1822

Acaster-Selby, (Ainsty) in the parish of Stillingfleet; 6 miles from Tadcaster and York, 8 from Selby. – Pop. 188.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.

TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF THE UNITED KINGDOM CAPPER 1808

Acaster-Selby, a township to the parish of Stillingfleet, in the liberty of York Ainsty, E. R. of York, 9 miles from York; contains 22 houses and 178 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.

Appleton Roebuck

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Appleton-Roebuck, 1½ mile N.E. Bolton-Percy. P. 564
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, and Census records – Free

Administration

  • County: Yorkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
  • Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
  • Diocese: York
  • Rural Deanery: Bishopthorpe
  • Poor Law Union: Tadcaster
  • Hundred: York (Ansty)
  • Province: York
  • Petty Sessional Division: East Ainsty
  • County Court District: Tadcaster


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.