Wribbenhall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Kidderminster St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1723
Parishes adjacent to Wribbenhall
- Kidderminster St Mary
- Lower Mitton
Historical Descriptions of Wribbenhall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Wribbenhall, a chapelry in Kidderminster parish, Worcester; at Bewdley r. station, within Bewdley borough, and communicating with Bewdley town by a bridge across the Severn. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post-office under Bewdley. Pop., 1,057. Houses, 249. There are several well built houses and some gentlemen’s seats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Kidderminster.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Wribbenhall, a hamlet in the parish of Kidderminster, lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, county of Worcester, situated on the left bank of the Severn, immediately opposite Bewdley, and connected with that town by a noble bridge over the river. The population is returned with the parish. Here is a chapel for the service of the church of England, but not consecrated: it was erected in the year 1701, at the expense of the inhabitants of the hamlet, on a plot of waste land belonging to Lord Foley, and was subsequently claimed by his lordship, as lord of the manor this gave rise to litigation, and, after various decisions, it was given in his favour. Since that period his lordship has continued to appoint the minister, who held his situation solely by virtue of such presentation, until its existence was legalized by a clause in an act of parliament which passed in the early part of the reign of George IV., relating to dissenting places of worship, which excepts from its provisions all chapels wherein the service of the church of England had previously been performed: it is exempt from all ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The inhabitants support, by voluntary subscription, and by a collection after a sermon preached for the purpose, two schools in Bewdley, for children whose parents reside in the hamlet; in these about twelve boys and twenty-five girls are instructed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Directories of Wribbenhall
Family History Links for Wribbenhall
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury