Distance – 6 miles NW of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 323. Acreage, 2669.
Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office, Castle Hill; Joseph Spilsbury. Sub-Postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 5. 30 a.m. and 3.45 p.m.; the delivery commences at 6 a.m.; despatched at 11.50 a.m. and Fpm. On week-days and Sundays. There is no delivery on Sundays, except to callers. Telegraph business is transacted from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. on week-days, and from 8 a.m. till 10 a.m. on Sundays. Martley is the nearest money order office. Post town, Worcester.
The Wall Letter-box in the School wall is cleared at 6.30 p.m. on week-days only.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s) – Rev. James Davenport, M.A. (Christ’s Coll., Cambridge), Vicar (instituted 1890); Thomas John Jones-Williams and Henry Perrott, Churchwardens; Reuben Rowley, Parish Clerk.
Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) – Mrs. Henry Perrott, Mistress.
Assistant Overseer – George Alfred Fidoe
Betteridge James, farmer, kedge’s farm
Brook T. J. & J. W., farmers, Lingens
Bryan Albert, farmer, Wichenford court
Bullock Miss M.A., Wichenford court
Davenport Mer. James, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Evans Reuben, farmer, Greenways; res., Hylton road, Worcester
Farquharson A., Arundels
Fidoe George Alfred, farm bailiff to T. J. Jones-Williams, Cobhouse, and assistant overseer
Gill Richard, gardener, Coronation cottage
Hemus Humphrey, farmer, The Wood house
Hill George, farmer, Clarke’s ground
Hill John, farmer, Buryend town
Jackson Henry, frmr., Ridgend and Colketts
Johnson John, blacksmith, Coldbrook
Jones-Williams Thos. John, J.P., Laughern Hill house
Orgee William, cottage former, New house, King’s green
Perrott Henry, farmer, Buryend bush
Pugh Mrs., former, Little Buryend
Pugh Mark, farmer, Poplar road
Pullon A. J., Masons’ Arms Inn
Roberts John, blacksmith
Sheppy John, farmer, Rimmer’s farm
Smith David Harvey, farmer, Peg house
Smith Harvey, farmer, Little Ridgend; res., Worcester
Spilsbury Joseph, shopkeeper, carpenter, and sub-postmaster, Parts office, Castle hill
Wainwright Samuel, Woodbine cottage
Willis John, farm bailiff, Little Ridged
Windus William, farmer, Cockshott farm
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.