Whittington is a small village and chapelry belonging to St. Peter’s parish, Worcester, distant about 2 ½ miles S.E. of the city, on the road to Evesham; in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; union of Pershore; polling district, county court district, and petty sessional division of Worcester; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £2,638; area of the chapelry, 989 acres; population in 1861, 309; in 1871 (including Swinesherd), 373, with 85 inhabited houses and 87 families or separate occupiers. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and barley. The chapel-of-ease is a small stone edifice, in the Early English style, with chancel, nave, and bell-cot. There are 243 sittings, 140 being free. The living is in the fit of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. (For further particulars see St. Peter’s, Worcester, page 36.) The earliest register is dated 1709. There is a small school for boys and girls. Cruckbarrow (or Crookbarrow) hill is an object of interest to the antiquary. It is believed to have been thrown up and used by the Druids, or as a burying-place for some great chieftain. It is elliptical in form, and is now crowned with trees. If it is a tumulus, it is one of the largest in England. Part of Swinesherd (or Swenchard) is an outlying portion of St. Martin’s parish, Worcester, distant 2 miles S.E. of the city.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.35 p.m. on week-days, and 11.35 a.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Chapel-of-Ease. – Rev. William Wright, M.A., Vicar of St. Peter’s, Worcester, with Whittington; Rev. Beaufort Harkness Dixon, Curate; Mr. George Groves, Churchwarden; Edward Stinton, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Harding, Mistress.
County Police Station. – John Cattell, Constable.
Beck Mr. Thomas, Shrub villa
Chamberlain Robert, Esq., The Elms
Doe Mr. Enoch & Mrs. T. E., Bank cot.
Hunt Mrs., The Cottage
Laugher Mr. Jas., Avenue vil., Swinesherd
Leader Benjamin Williams, Esq., Whittington lodge
Lloyd Colonel, Belle Vue villa
Matchett Captain, Whittington villa
Wilson Rev. Joseph Bowstead, M.A. (rector of St. Helen’s, Worcester)
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Birt Mrs. Helen, shopkeeper
Bromfield W., gardener, 1 Rose cottages
Cattell John, police officer, Police Station
Cooper George, blacksmith
Cowley Henry William, carpenter, joiner, and market gardener, Bird’s close
Davis William, builder, Red hill
Ewins George, boot and shoe maker
Green John, farmer, Uffnall; res., Heath grange, St. John’s, Worcester
Groves George, farmer, Cruckbarrow farm and church farm
Harding Miss, schoolmistress
Leader Benjamin Williams, artist, Whittington lodge
Meadows Mrs., shopkeeper, Swinesherd
Meadows Mrs. J., laundress
Moore J., quartermaster, 2 Rose cottages
Smith Richard, farmer, The Elms farm
Watson Edwin, farmer & miller, Swinesherd mill (in St. Martin’s parish)
Weston Walter Morris, Swan Inn
Wilmore James, wheelwright, Swinesherd
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.