Whittington Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905


Distance – 2 ½ miles SE of Worcester.

Population – In 1901, 429. Acreage 1108.

Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office, William Henry Ewins, Sub-Postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive from Worcester at 8.15 a.m., 12.55 and 4.35 p.m.; Sunday delivery 8.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 11.15 a.m. and 6.5 p.m. on week-days, and 10.0 am. on Sundays. Telegrams may be sent on Sundays from 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m.

The Wall Letterbox at Swinesherd is cleared at 7.20 a.m. and 8 p.m., and on Sundays at 11.40 a.m.; that at Norton Barracks at 11.0 a.m., 4.0 and 7.55 p.m. on week-days, and 7.55 p.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the post town and money order office.

Chapel of Ease (SS. Philip and James) – Rev. G. A. K. Simpson, M.A., Vicar of St. Peter’s with Whittington; E. Watson, Churchwarden; Mrs. Stinton, Sextoness.

College for the Higher Education of the Blind – Rev. T. Barnard, M.A., Head Master [for complete list of Trustees, &c., see Worcester Official Directory.]

Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) – Miss C. Campbell, Mistress.

Assistant overseer – John Clews; res., Red Hill.

Residents

Allen Walker, 2 Rose villas

Barnard Rev. T., M.A., (head master), College for the Higher Education of the Blind

Beck Thomas, Shrub villa

Birt Miss Jane, I Rose villa

Bomford Alfred W., farmer, Swinesherd

Bullock Farmer, baker, St. Cuthbert’s

Brown Geo. Frdck. Sparrow, The Grange

Campbell Miss C., schoolmistress

Chamberlain Mrs. Eliza, The Elms

Chamberlain Frederick, farmer, The Elms

Clarke Charles, Red hill

Clarke Thomas, viceman (G. W. R), Avenue cottage, Swinesherd

Clews John, assistant overseer, Red hill

Clutterbuck James, Lilac cottages

Cooper George, blacksmith

Cottrill George, farmer, Lower Barn farm

Cottrill Nathaniel, farmer, Bank cottage

Curnock Mrs. Jane, mkt. gardnr., Bird’s close

Ewins William Henry, boot and shoe maker and sub-postmaster

Forty William, nurseryman and fruiterer, Swinesherd and Market Hall. All kinds of nursery stock supplied. Wreaths and crosses made to order on the shortest notice.

Gammons Richard, mkt. gardener, Swinesherd road

Garrard Samuel Bromley, M.A., Gables

George Frederick A., Red hill

Gillett Charles E.

Hillery Mrs., farmer, Chapelry farm

Madeley H. G., farmer, Horne hill

Meadows Mrs. Emma, laundress

Mullins Hubert, wheelwright, Swinesherd

Pitcher George, farmer, Cruckbarrow farm; res., Nunnery farm, St. Peter’s

Pope John, farmer, Church farm

Prosser Mrs. Harriet, Lower Barn farm

Ratcliffe John, Whittington hall

Sayers George, farm bailiff, Cruckbarrow

Smith Henry, Old House farm

Stinton Mrs. E., sextoness

Tombs N. J., farmer, Lower Battenhall

Vaughan Capt. Herbert, Whittington lodge

Walker The Misses, The Cottage

Wallis Hebert William, farmer, Uffnell

Watson Edwin & John, millers & threshing machine proprietors, Swinesherd mill

Watson Edwin, Avenue lodge, Swinesherd

Wells Frederick William, bricklayer

Wilmore Mrs., Swinesherd

Wood Ellen, Red hill

Wormington Thomas Alfred, Swan Inn

Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.