Whittington Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855


Whittington is a small Hamlet and Chapelry belonging to the parish of St. Peter’s, Worcester, and is about 2 ½ miles distant from that town. It contained in 1851, according to the census, a population of 289 inhabitants, viz., 143 males, and 146 females.

The Church, a small, modern-built edifice, is a Chapel of Ease to St. Peter’s. The Rev. S. N. Vowler officiates as Minister; William Corbett, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Bamfield Mr. John

Clifton John Hill, Esq., Magistrate

Doe Mr. Enoch, Bank Cottage

Hunter Captain George, Royal Artillery, Whittington Lodge

Weston Mrs. Mary, The Cottage

Best Thomas, blacksmith and wheelwright

Birt Henry, boot and shoe maker

Chamberlain George, farmer, Upper Battenhall

Coney Elizabeth, farmer, Lower Battenhall

Coney William, farmer, Middle Battenhall

Dowell Edward, farmer, Lower Timberdale

Ewins George, boot and shoe maker

Green John, farmer, Uffnall Farm

Lane Charlotte, victualler, Swan

Hartwright John, farmer, Upper Timberdale

Nash Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer Parsonage Farm

Pearce James, shopkeeper

Pitcher George, farmer, Nunnery Farm

Ross Charles, boot and shoe maker

Sharp James, tailor

Smith Edward, hop merchant, Chapelry House

Smith John, farmer Cruckbarrow Farm

Walker John, farmer, Walker’s Place

Watson Edwin, farmer

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.