White Ladies Aston is a parish and village 5 miles E. of Worcester and 5 N.N.W. of Pershore, in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; union of Pershore; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; annual rateable value, £2,225; area of parish, 1,230 acres; population in 1861, 353; in 1871, 349, with 81 inhabited houses and 101 families or separate occupiers. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor; the former is the principal landowner. The soil is clay with a little sand; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, turnips, mangolds, and fruit; also old pasture. This parish was originally called Aston, or Eston, signifying a town lying east of the monastery or mother church to which it was subject. It was called at the time of the Conquest Eston Episcopi, belonging then to the Bishop. In 1268, Godfrey de Gifford gave to the nuns of Whiston, at Worcester (called White Ladies, from their dress), the manor and patronage of Eston, with certain reservation, and from that time it has received the appellation of White Ladies’ Aston. It is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living, a vicarage, value £220, with residence; patron, Robert Berkeley, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1839. The church of St, Michael is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, and western wooden tower with four bells; the north aisle was built and the church completely restored in 1860 – 61 under the superintendence of Mr. Hopkins, architect, of Worcester. The principal memorials are to the Elrington family. The earliest register is dated 1558. In 1713 Bishop Lloyd endowed a school at Worcester with an estate in this parish, consisting of 88 acres, which had become forfeited to him by the execution of its owner (a Mr. Symonds) for murder, and which the Bishop was unwilling to appropriate to his own use. The estate has recently been enfranchised by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at a cost of £700, defrayed partly by a legacy of £400, left by the late C. H. Hebb, Esq. The children of this parish go to the district school at Bredicot.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester about 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Partington and George Christopher Jackson, Churchwardens; William Gould, Parish Clerk.
Loxley Miss, Prospect cottage
Sherwood Rev. Henry Martyn, B.A. (vicar of White Ladies’ Aston, and rector of Broughton Hackett), The Vicarage
Tudor Mrs., Prospect cottage
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Allsup Mrs. Elizth., Crown Inn, Sneachill
Berkeley Maurice, farmer, Aston Court farm; res., Spetchley park
Biddle James, foreman drainer on the Spetchley estate, Sneachill
Day George, haulier
Gould William, carpenter, wheelwright, and parish clerk
Gregg Frederick, tailor, Sneachill
Jackson George Christr., fmr., Moat fm.
Kimber William, baker and grocer
Lewis William, baker and grocer
Partington John, farmer, Sneachill farm
Partington F. J., farmer, The Green fm.
Payne Daniel, coal merchant, Sneachill; depot at Spetchley goods station
Petford James, blacksmith
Sanders Mrs. Ann, baker, Sneachill
White Mrs., farmer, Low Hill farm
Wilmore Jph., Berkeley Arms Inn, Egdon
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.