White Ladies Aston Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

White Ladies’ Aston is situated 4 miles S.E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 356 inhabitants.

This parish was originally called Aston, or Eston, signifying a town lying east of the monastery or mother church, to which it was subject. It was called at the time of the Conquest, Eston Episcopi, belonging then to the Bishop. Godfrey de Gifford, in the year 1268, held the great deal of England and the crosier of Worcester, and gave to the nuns of Whiston, at Worcester, called White Ladies, from their dress, the manor and patronage of Eston, with certain reservations, and from that time it has received the appellation of White Ladies’ Aston.

The Church is an ancient building, consisting of nave, chancel, and western wooden spire. The windows are principally Norman, with the exception of a few square-headed and plain ones. The principal memorial is to Thomas Elrington, Esq., who died in 1809; he was an officer in the army 65 years, and was at the battles of Fontenoy, Falkirk, and Culloden, and in the American wars; was also at the taking of the French West India Islands, and at the siege if Havannah. There is also another to Major General Richard Goodall Elrington, who died 1845. He entered the army at the early age of fourteen, and carried his Majesty’s arms into America, the Persian Gulph, and India, and was shot through the body while bearing the colours of the 14th Regiment, before Dunkirk. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of R. Berkeley, Esq. Rev. Henry M Sherwood, B.A., Vicar; Mr. George Manton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.


Butt Mr. Richard, Prospect Cottage

Locke Mr. James, Lower Aston Farm

Sherwood Mrs. Mary

Sherwood Rev. Henry Martyn, B.A., Vicar, Vicarage

Allsupp George, victualler, Berkeley Arms

Allsupp John, victualler, Crown

Burford John, shoe maker

Day William, mason

Dudfield Benjamin, farmer, Sneatch Hill

Fowler Thomas, beer retailer, baker, and shopkeeper

Hollings John, hop and seed merchant, Low Hill

Jackson George C., farmer, The Moat

Lewis William, baker and shopkeeper

Lock William, farmer, Lower Aston Farm

Millichap George, farmer

Perks William, carpenter

Petford Joseph, blacksmith

Price Abraham, wheelwright and carpenter

Roberts Thomas, farmer, Upper House; also of the Charity Farm

Robins John, machine proprietor

Sanders William, tailor

Waters William, shopkeeper

Weaver William, farmer, Aston Court

Wright Edward, butcher

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.