Upton Snodsbury is a small village and parish, situated about 6 miles E. of Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 341.
Upton Snodsbury derives its appellation from its Saxon owner, Snodes; or as it appears, a part of the parish was originally so called; while Upton Stephani and Upton-juxta-Snodsbury were also so called from the circumstance of their being two, or portions of two manors in this parish. The abbots of Westminster and Pershore subsequently had possession here, which in the time of Henry VIII was granted to the Walsh and Sheldon families, and afterwards fell into the hands of the Coventrys and Littletons.
The Church is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower, with diagonal buttresses. The aisle is separated by four obtuse arches. The chancel contains memorial to the Rev. H. Greene and family, dated 1805. He was formerly vicar of this parish, and afterwards rector of Earl’s Croome and vicar of Feckenham. There is also one to the Rev. T. Parkes, a previous vicar of this parish, and a stone slab to Richard Claridge, rector of Peopleton, dated 1676. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Rev. Henry A. Greene, LL.B., who is also the Vicar; Mr. Thomas Edwin, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Charities – The charities of this parish are few in number, and several have been lost for want of proper attention.
Abel Edward, shoe maker
Bennett Francis, victualler and maltster, Red Lion
Bullock John, victualler, Coventry Arms
Bullock John, butcher
Bullock Mary, beer retailer, maltster, and shopkeeper, Royal Oak
Bullock Thomas and Allen, farmers, Owl’s End
Edwin Thomas, blacksmith and Parish Clerk
Checketts George, wheelwright
Hughes Benjamin, farmer, The Court; also of Broughton Hackett
Hughes Richard, farmer, Hollyoak Farm
Jones Thomas, cooper
Pearce George, farmer, Cowsden Hall; also of Walcott and the Hyde Farms
Smith John, grazier, Upton House
Smith Samuel, farmer, Cowsden Bank; also of the Church and North Piddle Farms
Tolley Samuel, farmer, Frog Hall
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855