Stourport a market and post town of England, in Worcestershire, situated on the junction of the Stour and Severn, approached through Upper Mitton, formerly a part of Hartlebury parish, generally centered around the road from the iron bridge over the Severn, which passed northward through Bridge Street, High Street and Lombard Street, and reached the north end of the town in Foundry Street. In 1863 Lower Mitton with Stourport adopted the Local Government Act of 1858, uniting to form a local board of health, and in 1894 Lower and Upper Mitton were combined in the single urban district of Stourport. Large iron and carpet works were built on the banks of the Stour. The iron bridge was erected about 1870 to replace one which dated from about 1806.
Alternative names: Stourport on Severn
Markets: Wednesdays and Saturdays
Fairs: first Tuesday of April, July, and Oct
Trade & Manufacturing: a very large tannery, an iron foundry, and establishments for worsted-spinning, carpet-weaving, vinegar-making, and malting. It had also a trade in hops, corn, and apples in the autumn.
Historical Descriptions of Stourport
Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870
Stourport, a market and post town of England, in Worcestershire, situated on the Stour, near its junction with the Severn, 10 miles N.W. from Worcester. The Severn is crossed here by a handsome iron bridge. The only public buildings in the town are the church, a chapel for Wesleyans, and a reading-room. Manf. Carpets, leather, and cast-iron goods. The town owes its existence to the formation of the Trent and Severn Canal, which terminates in a basin at Stourport. A very extensive trade is carried on here in coals from the Staffordshire and Worcestershire collieries. It has also a trade in hops, corn, and apples in the autumn. Mar. D. Wed. Pop. 2958. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Severn Valley branch of the Great Western Railway, between Worcester and Shrewsbury.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Stourport, a small town in Lower Mitton chapelry, Worcester; at the confluence of the rivers Stour and Severn, at the terminus of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal, and on the Severn Valley railway, 4 miles SSW of Kidderminster. It originated in 1770; presents a neat and clean appearance; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post-office, a r. station, a banking office, a town hall improved in 1866, a police station, an iron bridge 150 feet in span, a church, two dissenting chapels, a literary and scientific institution, and two national schools. Markets are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays; fairs are held on the first Tuesday of April, July, and Oct.; a considerable transit traffic is carried on; and there are a very large tannery, an iron foundry, and establishments for worsted-spinning, carpet-weaving, vinegar-making, and malting. See Mitton (Lower).
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Stourport – a market town in the chapelry of Lower-Mitton, and hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 4 miles from Kidderminster, 11 from Worcester, and 122 from London; containing 483 inhabited houses. This town owes its existence to the junction of the Staffordshire canal with the Severn, which was completed in the year 1770, at an expense of £105,000. It enters the county at Wolverley, and has nine locks, with a fall of 90 feet, and is constructed for boats about seventy feet long and seven broad, from twenty to twenty-four tons each. The first bason was begun in 1768 and finished 1771; others have since been added, and Stourport has now become the principal depot of communication between the manufacturing and western parts of the kingdom. The streets are well paved, and most of the houses are well built and commodious; and the number of wharfs, warehouses, &c. gives it much the appearance of a small sea-port town. The bridge over the Severn is of iron, built by founders in the neighbourhood. It has a single arch, with a span of about 150 feet, and its perpendicular height 50. The avenues to it consist of a number of smaller ones, built of brick, extending on each side a sufficient distance beyond the bounds of the flood water-way. The former bridge, which was built of stone, was carried away in consequence of a sudden thaw, after a heavy snow and severe frost, which occasioned a great flood, accompanied with large quantities of ice. The market is on Wednesday, at which considerable business is done in the hop trade, during the three last months of the year. Population, including the whole of Lower-Mitton, 1801, 1603 – 1811, 2352 – 1821, 2544.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Stourport, ten miles from Worcester, is a well built handsome village, and has several elegant inns and shops in it. Here resides Thomas Walwyn and William Winnall, Attorneys; and Mr. Jukes, Surgeon and Apothecary. This village derives an important advantage from its navigable communication to most parts of the kingdom, whereby the great expence incurred by land-carriage is avoided, and the heaviest products conveyed to the most remote distance, without a material addition to their original price. From the canal there is a junction with the grand line running along the pottery in Staffordshire, and thence extending to Manchester and Liverpool, from whence there is a communication with the Trent to Gainsborough, Hull, York, &c. The manufacturers at Birmingham derive great advantage from this canal, having the conveyance of their goods by water-carriage to the principal ports of the British Ocean, the Irish Sea, and St. Georges Channel. The bason was opened in 1771, after an expence of 105,000l and the bridge across the Severn, consisting of three main arches over the river, and forty-nine upon land to make the approaches, was made passable in 1775; it cost 5000l but by an inundation, in 1794, one of the main arches was blown up by the flood, on which account a temporary bridge is erected. The convenient wharfs and warehouses are very well adapted for merchants and wharfingers. The proprietors of the canal here are authorised to demand the rate of three halfpence for each ton, as tonnage for a mile, for all goods navigated, except articles for the improvement of land.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Directories of Stourport
Family History Links for Stourport
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury