Stoulton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855


Stoulton is a village situate about 5 miles S. of Worcester, 4 N.W. from Pershore and 8 from Upton, containing a population of 377 inhabitants.

The Rev. William Derham, D.D., was born here, 1657, and educated at Trinity College, Oxford. He was the author of several works of great merit, among which we may mention his “Physico-Theology,” “Astro-Theology,” and “Christo-Theology, a Demonstration of the Divine Authority of the Christian Religion.” He was chaplain to George I, and a canon of Windsor. Died 1735.

Wolverton is a small hamlet, the population of which is returned with Stoulton.

The Church, bearing the marks of great antiquity, is in the early Norman style of architecture. There is a western tower, with a peal of five fine bells. The interior consists of a large chancel and nave, with no monuments of tablets. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of Earl Somers. Rev. James D. Simpson, B.D., Incumbent; Mr. William Simmons, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a National School, under Diocesan inspection, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Miss Ellen Smith, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 45.

There is also a Sunday School, at which about 80 children attend.

DIRECTORY

Lowe Mrs. Sarah

Simpson Rev. James D., B.D., Parsonage

Smith Mr. John

Barley William, farmer, Stoulton Farm

Grizzell William, wheelwright

Hands Thomas, farmer, Windmill Hill

Heath John, carpenter

Hemus miss Ann, preparatory day and boarding school

Holmes George, farmer

Loxley William, farmer, Brick Barns

Loxley Richard, farmer, The Box Bush; also of the Court

Matthews Joseph, farmer

Payne Joseph, blacksmith

Ross Thomas, farmer

Sidley Sarah, victualler, Somers Arms

Smith Joseph, blacksmith

Tovey Herbert, farmer

Tyler Joseph, tailor

Wilmore Joseph, carpenter

Wolverton

Acton William, Esq., Wolverton Hall

Broom John, farmer, Lower Wolverton

Hemus Humphrey, farmer, Upper Wolverton

Post Office – Henry Woodward, Sub-Post master. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.