Stone is a small parish, 2¼ miles S.E.E. from Kidderminster, in the Lower Division of the Halfshire Hundred, Kidderminster district. The population in 1851 consisted of 255 males, and 223 females; total 478 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a remarkably neat modern edifice, with square tower and lofty spire, containing a fine peal of bells. The living is a Vicarage, in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Worcester, and in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. John Peel, Vicar; Rev. Robert Seymour Nash, Curate; Mr. Daniel Oatley, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m. in summer; 3 p.m. in winter.
There is a Free School in this parish, founded and endowed pursuant to the will of the Rev. Mr. Hill; there is also a house for the master. Mr. William Johnes, Master; Bridget Johnes, Mistress. Average number of scholars of both sexes, 50.
Nash Rev. Robert S., Curate, Vicarage
Seager Mrs., Shenstone
Blakeway Philip, farmer, Shenstone
Cole Thomas, blacksmith, Shenstone
Crowder Edward, farmer, Hoo Farm
Crowder Edward, farmer, Shenstone
Dutton John, blacksmith, Stankling
Evans William, wheelwright, Stankling
Gibbon Benj., ironmaster, Spennell House
Jordan James, beer retailer, Plough
Lett John, farmer, Stone Farm
Martin William, farmer, Shenstone
Mayall George, shopkeeper, Shenstone
Morris J., ironmaster, Stone House
Penn Thomas, farmer, Shenstone
Ward Nicholas, victualler, Crown, Hoo Brook
Whitnun Samuel, beer retailer, Live and Let Live, Hoo Brook
Yeomans John, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855