Stockton on Teme Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Stockton is a small Parish, situate about 8 miles E.S.E. from Tenbury, on the high road from that town to Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 131 inhabitants.

The Church, a small ancient building, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of chancel and nave, divided by a Norman arch of the same character as that of the south entrance, which has no tympanum. The walls of the nave are Norman, but those of the chancel are modern. The Church is supposed to stand upon the old foundation of a Saxon church, built in the reign of Henry II. Over the doorway is a rude figure, probably of a dragon, on a stone, worked in with masonry, and evidently a part of some anterior design. In the chancel is a raised monument, and a canopy above it, supported at the front corners by small pillars. Almost the entire surface of this monument is divided into compartments, containing emblazonings of various branches of the Walsh family. It also bears the inscription: – “The tombe of Thomas Walshe, Esq., lord of the manor, and patron of this church, who departing this life at London, the 21st of November, his bodye was hither translated the 21st of December, 1593, by his cosine jarmaine Thomas Walshe, gent., his sole executor, the erector of this tomb.” On the floor in the nave is a brass, containing the figure of a man, and the inscription: – “Of your cheryte praye for the sowllis of Willyam Parker Sevyll and Elyzabeth his wyfys, ye which Willyam died the 25th daye of Febyere in the yere of our Lord God 1508.” The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Rev. William Francis Raymond, M.A., who is also Rector; Mr. Thomas Nutt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.


Cooke William Hyde, Esq., The Green

Bury Mrs. Seabright, Abbotsford

Hill Mrs. Susan S., Albion House

Morris Mr. William

Raymond Rev. William Francis, M.A., Magistrate and Rural Dean, Rector, Rectory

Beavan John, wheelwright

Boddington Sarah, farmer, Manor House

Eaton William, cattle dealer

Fox John, miller, Stockton Mill

Freeman Allen, farmer, The Bee House

Haywood George, shopkeeper and farrier

Matthews Charles, carpenter and Parish Constable

Tearne Thos. M., farmer, Pomona Place

Wainwright Joseph, farmer

Post Office – William Butcher, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.