Staunton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Staunton is a village and parish, 7 miles from Tewkesbury, and about 6 from Newent, containing in 1841 a population of 402, and 559 in 1851, the increase being attributable to the introduction of the National Land company’s operation at “Snigs End,” where they have erected a great number of cottages.

Downing is situate about half a mile W. of the village, and contains only a few farm houses; the population is returned with the parish.

The Church, dedicated to St. James, is partly in the decorated and partly in the later style of English architecture, and has a tower, containing a peal of six bells. The living is a Rectory, worth about £360 per annum. Rev. Thomas Hill, Rector; Mr. Samuel Bundy, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a small Methodist Chapel in the village. No stated minister. Service – 2 and 6 p.m.


Hill Rev. Thomas, Rector, Rectory

Axford Charles J., surgeon

Barnes William, shoe maker

Bowyer James, farmer

Bradley Thomas, farmer, Stone Walls Farm

Bray John, tailor

Broadstick William, blacksmith

Bundy Samuel, mason and Parish Clerk

Butt John, farmer

Cook William, farmer and miller

Davis William, stocking weaver

Fowler John, cooper

Fuller Frederick, farmer, Hill Farm

Halford John, farmer

Halford Mrs., farmer

Hawkins Jeremiah, farmer, Staunton Court

Hawkins William, farmer, Vine Farm

Hobbs John, wheelwright

Hooper Thomas, surgeon

Hooper William, farmer

Hounsley Alexander, farmer

Jell William, farmer

Lloyd Thomas, victualler, and licensed to let horses, Swan

Panting Robert, draper and grocer

Russell John, miller, Pitts’s Mill

Shopland John, farmer

Walker John, shoe maker


Hawkins Frances, farmer, Ellis Place

Purser Samuel, farmer

Robinson George, farmer

The Post Office is in Corse parish – Mr. R. J. Streather, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 11 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.