Shelsley Walsh Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Shelsley Walsh (from the Walshes, a distinguished family who once flourished here), or Little Shelsley, is a village and parish adjoining Shelsley Beauchamp, but on the west bank of the Teme; in the western division of the county and hundred of Upper Doddingtree; petty sessional division and polling district of the Hundred House; union and highway district of Martley; county court district of Worcester; annual rateable value, £863; area of parish, 468 acres; population in 1861, 57; in 1871, 39, with 11 inhabited houses. Two farmhouses and some cottages contain all the inhabitants. The Right Hon. The Earl of Dudley is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The whole of the parish is in the occupation of Montagu Charles H. Taylor, Esq. The soil is clay; subsoil, loam and gravel; chief crops, barley, wheat, hops, and fruit. Shelsley Walsh is in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of East Burford; living a rectory, value £100. with 13 acres of glebe; patron, the Earl of Dudley; rector, Rev. Theodore Nevin’s Flintoff, M.A., Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1864, and is also chaplain and manager of Woodbury Hill reformatory, Shelsley Beauchamp. The church of St. Andrew has a chancel, nave and tower, and is remarkable for Norman and Early English work; rood-beam and screen; the screen being returned into the nave so as to enclose a small chantry, there being but one other example of such an arrangement in England; an incised monumental slab and wooden alter tomb, dated 1596, made of heart of oak, and having on its rim the inscription “Sir John Walsh, Radnorshire, Lord Lieutenant and Member of Parliament, caused this to be restored.” There are also old encaustic tiles, a tile cross, &c. The church was restored in 1859. The east window was presented by Rev. D. Melville, and a memorial window on the south side is the gift of Mr. Joseph Smith. The register begins with the year 1813. The Court House, the residence of Montagu Charles H. Taylor, Esq. is a 17th-century timber structure, in which many antiques are to be seen. It was formerly surrounded by a moat. Sir Richard Walsh, who, as high sheriff of the county, took an active part in the apprehension of the Gunpowder-plot conspirators, resided here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. Clifton-On-Teme is the nearest money-order office. Post town, Worcester.

Parish Church (St. Andrew’s). – Rev. Theodore N. Flintoff, M.A., Rector; Montagu Charles H. Taylor, Esq., Churchwarden; John Herdman, Parish Clerk.


Taylor Montagu Charles H., Esq., farmer and hop grower, Court house

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.