Shell, formerly a hamlet in Inkberrow, but near Himbleton (in the church of which parish is a chapel still called Shell chapel), is now a separate parish in the parliamentary borough of Droitwich, 5 miles S.E. of that town, and 8 ¼ N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; union, county court, polling district, and petty sessional division of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £434; area of parish, 264 acres; population in 1861, 54; in 1871, 52; inhabited houses, 11. There are only two farms in the parish. Edward Bearcroft, Esq., of Mere hall, is lord of the manor and owner of the land. There is no church, chapel, or school, the place being for all practical purposes a part of Himbleton.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Green John, miller and farmer, Shell mill
Merrell James, farmer, Manor farm.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.