Rushock (anciently Rushoke Regis and Russococ) was formerly a chapelry to Chaddesley, but is now an independent rectory; it is 5 miles N. of Droitwich, 5 S.E. of Kidderminster, 3 W.N.W. of Bromsgrove, and 12 N. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Halfshire; polling district of Chaddesley Corbett; poor-law union, petty sessional division, county court district, and highway district of Kidderminster; annual rateable value, £2,100; area of parish, 1,218 acres; population in 1861, 159; in 1871, 161, with 34 inhabited houses and 36 families or separate occupiers. The soil is fertile, producing wheat, barley, beans, and fruit. The trustees of the Wolverhampton Grammar school are lords of the manor, and with William Orme Foster, Esq., are the principal landowners. Rushock is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Kidderminster; the living is worth £330, with residence, and 21 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor, who was instituted in 1873. The church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, is a small cruciform structure with no special architectural features. It stands on an elevated site, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, and tower, and has accommodation for 170 worshippers, 130 of the seats being free and unappropriated. It was built at a cost of £503. Through the exertions of the Rev. Melville R. Moore it has been thoroughly restored at a cost of about £400, raised by subscription. It was reopened for divine service, April 17th, 1872. T. D. Baker, Esq., architect, of Kidderminster, prepared the plans and superintended the restoration gratuitously. A stained east memorial window to the late rector (Rev. John Piercy) has been recently placed in the church by subscription. A new and powerful organ, by Nicholson of Worcester, was presented by the rector in 1877. The nave and chancel have been laid with Webb’s encaustic tiles, and the tower has been raised considerably, the expense being defrayed by subscription. The reading-desk, pulpit, and lectern are all of oak and entirely new. The old square seats have been removed and substituted by stalls. The earliest register is dated 1686. There is a parochial school and a Dorcas society in the parish.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Droitwich at 9 a.m. The letter-box at the schoolhouse is cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, and Droitwich are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. Michael and All Angel’s). – Rev. Melville Russell Moore, B.A., Rector; Messrs. John Newey and William Lett, Churchwardens; Mr. E. Bradley, Organist; William Clarke, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss Amos, Mistress.
Moore Rev. Melville Russell, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Newey Mr. John, The Hill house
Snow Mr. John, Rushock court
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Amos Miss, schoolmistress
Bellamy Thomas, farmer, Clattercut and Wood farms
Heath John, farmer, Gabb’s farm
Higley Edwin, blacksmith
Lett William, farmer, New farm and Rushock Court farm
Newey George, Lowbridge farm
Newey J., farmer, The Hill and Lowbridge
Osborne George, farmer, Leylands and Beech Elm farms
Packwood Wm., shopkpr., Rushock wood
Yates James, farmer and parish constable
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.