Powick Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879



Powick (anciently Powyke or Poiwic) is a very pleasant village and extensive parish 3 miles S.W. of Worcester and 5 N.E. of Malvern; it occupies a gentle eminence overlooking the vales of the Severn and Teme and the city of Worcester, being on the road from the latter town to Malvern. It is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union and highway district of Upton; polling district of St. John’s; petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; annual rateable value, £12,422; area of parish, 5,194 acres; population in 1861, 2,222; in 1871, 2,583, with 403 inhabited houses and 411 families or separate occupiers. In the parish are four manors – Pixham, Woodsfield, and Ullathorne green, alias Beauchamp’s court, of which three manors the Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp is lord, and the Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor of Prior’s court, alias the Rectory. Part of the manor of Bransford is also in this parish. The Earl of Coventry, Earl Beauchamp, and Lord Hampton are the principal landowners here. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, oats, turnips, hops, beans, and pasture. The parish is well watered by the Severn and Teme; and its ham, or common, is a large price of land on the west bank of the latter river. Powick was the scene of an encounter between the Parliamentarian troops and the Royalists in 1642; and in 1651 occurred the battle of Powick bridge, a portion of which erection is still standing. General Fleetwood having crossed the Teme with the right wing of the brigade, and the left having arrived at the bridge, a very severe contest took place, which lasted nearly two hours, the Royalists being eventually driven back, and pursued to the gate of the city, with great loss. A handsome new bridge was built further down the river in 1838. In 1832, two sepulchral Roman urns were dug up from a piece of land between Upton and Malvern; and in the following year, a little to the west of the village, two similar ones were found, containing the bones of children. Several ancient coins have also been found in the neighbourhood. Powick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of its own name; living, a vicarage; value, £330, with residence; patron, the Earl of Coventry; vicar, Rev. Thomas Henry Cecil Hughes, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1867. The church of St. Peter is an interesting cruciform structure containing specimens of Norman and Early English work. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, with western tower divided into three stages. A carved screen divides the chancel from the nave, and two others the north and south transepts. In the north transept is a handsome octagonal stone font. The east window is in the Early English style, consisting of three stained lancet lights. The north transept window was filled with stained glass by Hardman & Co., in 1875, to the memory of the late Henry Oldnall-Russell, Esq.; subject, “The Resurrection.” The church has been well restored and reseated with open benches. The register begins with the year 1662. At Stanbrook is a monastery of Benedictine nuns, numbering about 50 in community, to which a boarding-school for young ladies is attached. This community removed to their present establishment from Salford, in Warwickshire, having settled there after being expelled from France during the Revolution in 1793. Adjoining the monastery is a Roman Catholic church, erected in 1871 from the designs of the late E. Welby Pugin, Esq. The interior is fitted up with much taste and is beautifully decorated. There is a Congregational chapel (in connection with Angel street chapel, Worcester) in the hamlet of Pole elm. There are national schools in the village supported by subscription. Two groups of school buildings, conveniently arranged and of good architectural character, were erected a few years ago from the designs of Mr. Preedy, of London. There is also a school at Callow end, entirely supported by the Earl of Beauchamp, in which divine service is held on Sunday evenings. A house called “Elm Villa” has been recently purchased by J. E. Wilson, Esq., J.P., of Kent’s green, who has most liberally fitted it up as a coffee-house and working-men’s club. There is also a coffee-house at Bastonford, by the liberality of Mrs. and Miss Wodehouse of Ham hill. The County and City of Worcester Lunatic Asylum, ably presided over by Dr. Sherlock, is a very large establishment, built of red brick and surrounded with beautiful gardens, commanding a fine view of the Malvern hills, and situated on an eminence 1 mile S. of the church. It was established in 1852, and has been recently much enlarged; it will accommodate between 700 and 800 patients, but some of these are taken from other counties. The asylum, which cost upwards of £58,000 in erection, &c., is under the management of a committee of 15 visitors – 11 elected by the county and 4 by the city. King’s End, of late the seat of the Hon. John Slaney Pakington, D.L., is now occupied by Captain and Mrs. J. Dowdeswell; St. cloud is at present void. The Old Hills are picturesque eminences surmounted by clumps of trees and affording charming views of the surrounding country. At Pixham is a ferry across the Severn to Kempsey parish. Woodsfield is a hamlet 2 miles S.W.; Collett’s Green, ½ mile W.; Callow End and Brayswick, 1 ½ miles s.; Pole Elm and Stanbrook, 1 mile S.; Bastonford, 1 ½ miles S.W.; and Wheatfields, ½ a mile S.

Worcester County and City Pauper Lunatic Asylum. – James Sherlock, Esq., M.D., F.R.C.S. (Edin.), M.R.C.P. (Lon.), Medical Superintendent; F. H. Craddock, Esq., M.R.C.S. (E.), and Dr. J. De Burgh Griffiths, Assistant Medical Officers; Rev. Alfred Bond, B.A. (Trinity College, Dublin), Chaplain; John Whitmore Isaac, Esq., Treasurer; Martin Curtler, Esq., Clerk to the Committee of Visitors; Mr. Frederick A. Wheeler, Auditor; Mr. George Jenkins, Asylum Clerk; Miss Eliza Giddings, Matron; Edgar P. Smith, Storekeeper; John Pountney, Farm Bailiff; William Holloway, Engineer; …. (Blank) … , Head Male Attendant; Miss E. Wadley, Head Female Attendant.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and money-order office, Mrs. Mary Ann Harris, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester at 7.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.20 p.m. on week-days and 11.45 a.m. on Sundays. Money-order and savings-bank business is transacted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. The Wall letter-box at Pole elm is cleared at 5.50 p.m. on week-days and 11.10 a.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the telegraph office and post town.

Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. T. H. Cecil Hughes, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Herbert and John M. Woodward, Churchwardens; William Underhill, Parish Sexton.

Roman Catholic Church and Convent, Stanbrook. – Rev. James Shepherd, Priest.

Congregational Chapel, Pole elm. – Ministers various.

National School (boys and girls), Powick. – Mr. Griffiths, Master; Mrs. Griffiths, Mistress.

National School, Callow end. – Miss A. Faville, Mistress.

Working-Men’s Club and Coffee-House. – Mr. J. Dixon, Manager.

Bransford Road Railway Station (Great Western Railway). – William Harvey, Station Master.

Steward of the Manor of Beauchamp Court (otherwise Ullathorne Green and Powick), Manor of Woodsfield, and Manor of Clevelode. – Francis Parker, Esq., 3 Foregate street, Worcester.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Beauchamp Arthur Jas., Esq., Holly lodge

Bond Rev. Alfred, B.A. (chaplain of Worcester county asylum), Holly lodge

Campbell A., Esq., The Hermitage, Stanbrook

Canning Mr., The Sandpits

Cazalet Major G. Henry, Bransford court

Craddock F. H., Esq., M.R.C.S., E., The Asylum

Crofton major-General, Rectory house

Dancocks Mrs., Bowling green

Dowdeswell Captain J., King’s end

Gibbons Miss, St. Mary’s abbey, Stanbrook

Griffiths Dr. J. De Burgh, The Asylum

Herbert Mr. John, Cross house

Hill Major W. C. (adjutant of Worcestershire militia; late captain 56th Foot), The Terrace

Hinde Major-General John, C.B., The Hermitage

Howitt Charles S., Esq., Elm bank

Hughes Rev. T. H. Cecil, M.A. (vicar of Powick), The Vicarage

Isaac John Swinton, Esq., Powyke court

Jenkins Mr. George, Rose villa

Jones Miss, Bastonford house

Leech Mrs. Ann, White house

Morais Mrs., Wheatfields

Nash Mr. Daniel, Stanbrook villa

Rea Mrs. Edward, Spitalfields

Saunders Mr. Joseph, Rose villa

Shepherd Rev. James, O.S.B. (Roman Catholic), The Monastery, Stanbrook

Sherlock James, Esq., M.D., F.R.C.S., M.R.C.P., The Asylum

Wall Mrs., Wheatfields

White Mr., Albert cottage

Williams Mr. Henry, Swiss cottage

Wilson John Edward, Esq., J.P., Kent’s green

Wodehouse Mrs. and Miss, Ham hill

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL

Baylis H., coal dlr. And farmer, Pole elm

Bennett Ben., shoemaker, Bowling green

Bishop Charles, builder, &c.

Bomford Wm. Stone, farmer, Bush farm

Browning Alfred, fly proprietor & farmer

Butt Thomas, farmer, Whitehouse farm; and at Pirton, near Worcester

Carlos Edward, boot and shoe maker

Cazalet Major George Henry, farmer, Bransford court

Cobley Mrs., farmer, Clevelode (and in Madresfield parish)

Cooper John, farmer, Powick farm

Copson Alfred, Blue Bell Inn, and shopkeeper, Pole elm

Craddock F. H., M.R.C.S. (E.), deputy medical superintendent, The Asylum

Creese Thos., farmer and dealer, White ho.

Doley James, blacksmith, Tabberns

Edwards J., farmer & hop grower, Sandpits

Faville Miss A., schoolmistress, Callow end

Finch Henry, Coventry Arms Inn, & tailor

Fisher John, farmer and hop grower, Lower Woodsfield (and in Newland)

Fowles Thomas, coal dealer

Fowles William, beer retailer (Old Three Tuns)

Gabb James, farmer, Lower Woodsfield (and in Newland parish)

Griffin Edwin, Red Lion Inn

Griffiths Dr. J. De Burgh, assistant medical officer, The Asylum

Grizzell T., blacksmith and shopkeeper

Grundy George, farmer and butcher, Callow end and Bowling green

Grundy Mrs. Richard, butcher

Hall Geo., fmr, and dealer, Bowling green

Hall W., Pixham Ferry Inn, and coal dlr.

Harris Mrs. Mary Ann, shopkeeper and sub-postmistress, Post office

Hawkins William, farmer and hop grower, Beauchamp court

Hehir John, baker, &c., Bowling green

Herbert J., fmr. & hop grower, Broadfields

Hodges William, fly and van proprietor and beer retailer (Yellow Lion)

Holland James, blacksmith, Pole elm frm.

Holloway William, engineer, The Asylum

Horton William, coal merchant, Bransford railway station

Hughes Thomas, farmer, Collett’s green

Hyde John, pig dealer

Hyde Thomas, blacksmith and farmer, Deblins green

Jenkins Geo., clerk to Worcester county and city lunatic asylum, Rose villa

Jones James, baker and shopkpr., Pole elm

Jones James, shopkeeper, Collett’s green

Jones W., boot and shoe maker, Stanbrook

Knott Alfred, boot and shoe maker

Knott J. Mayne, shopkeeper, Bastonford

Lane Mr., horse dealer, Salt-box

Lawrence Alf., shopkeeper and bricklayer

Marshall Francis, wheelwright, &c.

Marshall J., mrkt. gardnr., Collett’s green

Oliver George, beer retailer (Crown Inn), Bowling green

Pitt Thomas, Bear and Ragged Staff Inn, near Bransford railway station

Pountney John, farm bailiff, The Asylum

Russell James, miller, &c., Powick steam and water mills; res., Newland grange, near Malvern

Sherlock James, M.D., F.R.C.S. (Edin.), M.R.C.P. (Lon.), resident physician and superintendent, The Asylum

Smith Edgar P., storekeeper, The Asylum

Smith John, farmer, Bosworth’s farm

Sprague James, wheelwright, Deblin’s gn.

Stallard John, farmer, Stockend

Stephens Samuel, cottage farmer and shopkeeper, Bush lane

Sudds William, Halfway House Inn, Malvern road, Powick

Tandy Charles, shopkeeper, Callow end

Teague William, Old Bush Inn

Thomas Joseph, blacksmith, Callow end

Thrupp Mrs. Maria, shopkpr., Callow end

Turner James, farmer, Bank farm

Underhill William, builder, Callow end

Wargent James, builder, Callow end

Watkins W., cot. Farmer, Bowling green

Wheeler G., plumber, painter, and decorator

Woodward J. Minchin, farmer, Pixham

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.