Pirton Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855


Pirton is a small parish, distant from Worcester, in an E.S.E. direction, about 6 miles, and contained in 1851 a population of 238 inhabitants.

The Church, situated on an eminence, contains nave and chancel, with small tower on the north side of the building (it originally stood in the centre, the staircase which led to it still remaining in the south wall of the nave). The style of building is of about the twelfth century. The chancel window is in the decorated style; underneath this and the west window are low buttresses; the chancel arch is semicircular, the shafts being placed in recesses. In the south wall of the chancel is a trefoil-headed piscina. The living is united with Croome, under the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. W. L. Isaac, Rector; James Jeynes, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

The National and Infant Scholl, supported by the Earl of Coventry and the Rector, for the education of children of the neighbouring villages, is under Diocesan inspection. Maria Barrett, Mistress. Number of children, 52.

DIRECTORY

Isaac Rev. W. L., M.A., Rector, Rectory

Bradley Thomas, farmer

Butt John, farmer, Pirton Farm

Dowler William, mason and shopkeeper

Fletcher Oswald, blacksmith

Hartland Henry, farmer, Pirton Court

Potter Mary, blacksmith

Shepherd Thomas, farmer, Parsonage

Taylor Thomas, farmer

Tovey Hannah, farmer, Hermitage

Post Office – Maria Barrett, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.