Madresfield Littleburys Directory 1879

Madresfield is a well-wooded and fertile parish, 2 miles N.E. of Great Malvern, 7 S.S.W. of Worcester, and 6 N.W. of Upton-on-Severn; is in the western division of the county, hundred of Lower Pershore, union and highway district of Upton, petty sessional division and county court district of Great Malvern, and polling district of Malvern Link. The population in 1861 was 271; in 1871, 252; inhabited houses, 50; families or separate occupiers, 56; acreage, 1,192; annual rateable value, £2,307. The soil is loam and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, fruit, and hops. The Right Hon. Earl of Beauchamp is lord of the manor and owner of most of the land. Madresfield is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Powick; living, a rectory, value £230, with residence; patron, Earl Beauchamp; rector, Rev. George Shaw Munn, M.A., Trinity College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1856. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a handsome edifice in the Decorated style, erected in 1867 on a new site near the court. It consists of chancel with vestry and organ chamber, nave with south porch, tower with a peal of six bells and a spire. The chief features internally are the roofs of chancel and nave, a high oak screen surmounted by a cross on which is painted the figure of our Saviour, a painting of the Institution of the Eucharist over the altar, and the stained glass in the east and chancel windows; the pulpit, font, and oak seats are from the old church. The registers commence with the year 1742. There is an endowment of about £100 by a former Earl Beauchamp for educational and other purposes. Here is an industrial school for orphan girls, founded by the late Countess Beauchamp. Madresfield Court is the seat of the Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp, P.C., D.C.L., Lord-Lieutenant of Worcestershire, and Lord Steward of Her Majesty’s Household. It is a fine Elizabethan mansion, beautifully situated, commanding charming views of the Malvern hills, and was entirely restored in 1864-69, with very considerable additions. The late court was an ancient structure, surrounded by a moat, and picturesquely overgrown with ivy. Among many curious and valuable relics of former days, Madresfield court contains some bed furniture worked by Queen Anne and the Duchess of Marlborough. Clevelode, a hamlet or chapelry, was annexed to Madresfield in 1595, but the chapel was destroyed long ago. Dripshill is 2 miles S.E. Dripshill House is the residence of the Rev. Robert Lloyd, M.A.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Great Malvern. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Malvern Link. Letters for Dripshill are received through Upton-on-Severn.

Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. George Shaw Munn, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Hill, Churchwarden; Thomas Caswell, Parish Clerk.

Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss H. Hodgkins, Mistress.

Industrial School for Orphan Girls. – Mrs. Louisa Trapwell, Matron.


Allen Rev. Charles, The Rhydd

Beauchamp The right Hon. Earl, P.C., D.C.L. (Lord-Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of the county of Worcester, and Lord Steward of Her Majesty’s Household), Madresfield court; and 13 Belgrave square, London, S.W., and Carlton club

Lloyd Rev. Robert, M.A., Dripshill ho.

Munn Rev. George Shaw, M.A., J.P. (rector), The Rectory


Betty James, farm steward to the Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp

Caswell Thomas, parish clerk

Cobley Mrs., farmer, Clevelode

Cox William, head gardener to the Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp

Doorbar Henry, farmer, Portocksend farm

Hill John, farmer, Hayswood farm

Hodgkins Miss Helah, schoolmistress, Madresfield school

Kings George, wheelwright and carpenter

Munn George Eustace, farmer, Nog end

Trapwell Mrs., matron of industrial school

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.